"It's just the reality of the salary cap," coach John Harbaugh said. "It's the situation we're in now, and going forward we've got to try to make the best team we can."
In Philadelphia, Michael Vick was one of the first to arrive at Eagles headquarters and said he's ready to report Wednesday to training camp, even without a new contract.
"Everything happens when it's supposed to," he said. "I put that in the hands of God and this organization to make it happen."
But, he suggested DeSean Jackson could hold out because the two-time Pro Bowl wide receiver is unhappy with his deal. Backup quarterback Kevin Kolb didn't attend the voluntary workout Tuesday, and is on the trading block.
In Cincinnati, Bengals owner Mike Brown insisted he won't trade quarterback Carson Palmer, who wants to leave despite having four years left on his contract. Palmer told the team in January that he would retire if he's not traded, and Brown said the team will move on without its franchise quarterback.
"I honestly like Carson Palmer," Brown said. "He was a splendid player for us. He's a good person. I wish him well. And he is retired. That is his choice. ... I'm not expecting him to be back."
The San Diego Chargers will have their big wide receiver back in camp as Vincent Jackson will sign his non-exclusive franchise tag on Friday as soon as he is allowed to do so, according to agent Neil Schwartz.
While most teams' rosters are nowhere close to looking the way they'll be even at this time next week, Tuesday was all about getting back to football.
"I've been here for the past week," Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker said at team headquarters in Foxborough, Mass., "driving around here and finding a place to work out and doing all that stuff I don't have to worry about anymore."
AP Sports Writers Jaime Aron, Tom Canavan, Dan Gelston, David Ginsburg, Chris Jenkins, Joe Kay, Howard Ulman, Teresa Walker, Joseph White and Bernie Wilson contributed to this report.
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 46
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 44
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 12