"It was available to everybody, and they pulled it off," Brown said. "I didn't think they could do it. I kept hearing about it for the last couple of years and I never dreamed that it would happen. .... I'm glad we have that advantage."
Adding to an advantage the Longhorns have had for a long time.
"Do I worry about? Not a bit. I mean, they're pretty hard to recruit against anyway," said Baylor coach Art Briles, whose team is coming off its first bowl game in 16 years. "They can do it. If there's a need for it, people are going to pay for it, more power to them. Let them have it."
Brown doesn't think showing high school games on the network would impact recruiting for Texas. He said most of the 20-25 high school players the Longhorns sign each year commit before their junior seasons.
He believes instead that televising such games provides exposure to high schools and gives players the chance to be seen by other programs.
"I think the people that would be hurt if you don't show high school games will be the high school coach, the players who 99 percent will not even play college football," Brown said. "My gosh, the Big 12 is full of Texas high school football players. So if you think about it, there would be a lot more prospects from the other teams in the Big 12 on the network than the ones from Texas."
What Brown has concerns about is how much access the network gets to preparing his team.
"It's not going to be an easy partnership, because they're paying us $300 million for access," he said. "We've got to figure out how much access we can give them and not hurt our chance to have an edge to win the game."
A network official wanted to show the Longhorns' first scrimmage.
"And I said, 'Yeah, Oklahoma, A&M, Kansas, Texas Tech, they're going to be sitting there grading our practice as we do it,'" Brown said. "We can't do that."
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 139
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 89
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 70
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29