"It was available to everybody, and they pulled it off," Brown said. "I didn't think they could do it. I kept hearing about it for the last couple of years and I never dreamed that it would happen. .... I'm glad we have that advantage."
Adding to an advantage the Longhorns have had for a long time.
"Do I worry about? Not a bit. I mean, they're pretty hard to recruit against anyway," said Baylor coach Art Briles, whose team is coming off its first bowl game in 16 years. "They can do it. If there's a need for it, people are going to pay for it, more power to them. Let them have it."
Brown doesn't think showing high school games on the network would impact recruiting for Texas. He said most of the 20-25 high school players the Longhorns sign each year commit before their junior seasons.
He believes instead that televising such games provides exposure to high schools and gives players the chance to be seen by other programs.
"I think the people that would be hurt if you don't show high school games will be the high school coach, the players who 99 percent will not even play college football," Brown said. "My gosh, the Big 12 is full of Texas high school football players. So if you think about it, there would be a lot more prospects from the other teams in the Big 12 on the network than the ones from Texas."
What Brown has concerns about is how much access the network gets to preparing his team.
"It's not going to be an easy partnership, because they're paying us $300 million for access," he said. "We've got to figure out how much access we can give them and not hurt our chance to have an edge to win the game."
A network official wanted to show the Longhorns' first scrimmage.
"And I said, 'Yeah, Oklahoma, A&M, Kansas, Texas Tech, they're going to be sitting there grading our practice as we do it,'" Brown said. "We can't do that."
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25