California: Claremont, Culver City, Los Angeles, Palo Alto, Palm Desert and San Diego have municipal art in public places programs.
Colorado: In 1977, the Art in Public Places Act requires that 1 percent of the construction cost of new or renovated state-owned buildings be set aside for acquisition of artworks. Denver, Evergreen, Fort Collins and Loveland also have public art programs.
Connecticut: A 1978 law requires that "not less than 1percent of the cost of construction or substantial renovation of publicly accessible state buildings be allocated for the commission or purchase of artworks."
New Mexico: New Mexico Art in Public Places is a 1percent initiative.
New York: In New York City, for the past 25 years, the Public Art Fund has presented projects, new commissions and exhibitions in public spaces, with a goal of bringing artworks outside the traditional context of museums and galleries.
Texas: Austin and San Antonio both have public art programs that allocate 1percent of construction costs for commissioned artists and designers.
Washington, D.C.: Art in Public Places Program, established in 1986 by the Commission on the Arts and Humanities, promotes and supports art in public places.
Wisconsin: A Percent for Art Program was established in 1980. It allows two-tenths of 1 percent of the total construction costs of new state buildings or renovation projects to be designated for artwork. Only state buildings with a high degree of public access are eligible.
U.S. State Department: The Art in Embassies Program provides for exhibitions of original works of art by U.S. citizens in the public rooms of about 180 American diplomatic residences worldwide.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19