Utah Utes football: Tony Bergstrom faces Pac-12 media blitz
Keith Johnson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's Tony Bergstrom doesn't exactly fit the mold. Aside from Oregon tight end David Paulson, the 6-foot-6, 315-pound senior is the only offensive lineman slated to participate in Tuesday's Pac-12 Media Day at the Fox Studios in Los Angeles.
The rest of participating players include quarterbacks Matt Barkley (USC), Nick Foles (Arizona), Tyler Hansen (Colorado), Andrew Luck (Stanford) and Brock Osweiler (Arizona State); running backs Johnathan Franklin (UCLA) and Chris Polk (Washington); wide receivers Marvin Jones (California) and Jared Karstetter (Washington State); plus safety Lance Mitchell (Oregon State).
"I don't know how it will be," Bergstrom said of being the lone full-timer in the trenches. "Offensive linemen are kind of a different group. Hopefully we'll get along."
Bergstrom, who has started the past 26 games for Utah, is on the Outland Trophy preseason watch list and is considered an All-America candidate. Representing the Utes at the inaugural Pac-12 gathering, he noted, is a big deal.
"It's real big. I really appreciate the opportunity. It's awesome," Bergstrom said. "It's really special and I'm excited. It'll be a neat thing."
Bergstrom will join head coach Kyle Whittingham in meeting the press in California. Whittingham and the 11 other head coaches in the conference will then head to New York City and Bristol, Conn., for additional media opportunities. Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott will also make the trek.
Fans can follow the proceedings on Pac-12.org, beginning Tuesday with live video streaming at 10 a.m. MT. Whittingham and Bergstrom are scheduled to address the media at 1 p.m. MT.
On Wednesday, Whittingham will make appearances on various ESPN programs, including a live shot on SportsCenter at 11:40 a.m. MT.
EXTRA POINTS: Players report for camp on Aug. 3, with practice opening the next day. The first two-a-day is set for Aug. 10. ... Classes begin Aug. 22. ... Former Utes Robert Conley and Spencer Toone are now graduate assistants on Gary Andersen's staff at Utah State. ... New FieldTurf has been installed at the Spence Eccles Field House. Besides a block "U" at midfield, one end zone will resemble paydirt at Rice-Eccles Stadium with red turf and "Utah" in white lettering. ... Bergstrom isn't the only Ute on a preseason watch list. Quarterback Jordan Wynn (Davey O'Brien Award), linebacker Chaz Walker (Rotary Lombardi Award) and wide receiver DeVonte Christopher (Biletnikoff Award) are also on early lists.
- Brad Rock: Whittingham looks the part as a...
- With Mangum 'probable,' Cougars getting Hoge...
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after putting...
- What you may have missed: Put him in, coach,...
- Due to injuries, both BYU and Cincinnati have...
- BYU football notebook: Return of Travis...
- BYU legend Steve Young talks Tanner Mangum,...
- Morning links: L.A. Times writer, former...
- Brad Rock: Whittingham looks the part... 73
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 45
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 40
- No. 5 Utes outlast No. 23 Cal in... 40
- Utah football: Utes moves up No. 4 in... 33
- Due to injuries, both BYU and... 32
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after... 29
- Tanner Mangum returns from injury,... 25