Utah Utes football: Tony Bergstrom faces Pac-12 media blitz
Keith Johnson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's Tony Bergstrom doesn't exactly fit the mold. Aside from Oregon tight end David Paulson, the 6-foot-6, 315-pound senior is the only offensive lineman slated to participate in Tuesday's Pac-12 Media Day at the Fox Studios in Los Angeles.
The rest of participating players include quarterbacks Matt Barkley (USC), Nick Foles (Arizona), Tyler Hansen (Colorado), Andrew Luck (Stanford) and Brock Osweiler (Arizona State); running backs Johnathan Franklin (UCLA) and Chris Polk (Washington); wide receivers Marvin Jones (California) and Jared Karstetter (Washington State); plus safety Lance Mitchell (Oregon State).
"I don't know how it will be," Bergstrom said of being the lone full-timer in the trenches. "Offensive linemen are kind of a different group. Hopefully we'll get along."
Bergstrom, who has started the past 26 games for Utah, is on the Outland Trophy preseason watch list and is considered an All-America candidate. Representing the Utes at the inaugural Pac-12 gathering, he noted, is a big deal.
"It's real big. I really appreciate the opportunity. It's awesome," Bergstrom said. "It's really special and I'm excited. It'll be a neat thing."
Bergstrom will join head coach Kyle Whittingham in meeting the press in California. Whittingham and the 11 other head coaches in the conference will then head to New York City and Bristol, Conn., for additional media opportunities. Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott will also make the trek.
Fans can follow the proceedings on Pac-12.org, beginning Tuesday with live video streaming at 10 a.m. MT. Whittingham and Bergstrom are scheduled to address the media at 1 p.m. MT.
On Wednesday, Whittingham will make appearances on various ESPN programs, including a live shot on SportsCenter at 11:40 a.m. MT.
EXTRA POINTS: Players report for camp on Aug. 3, with practice opening the next day. The first two-a-day is set for Aug. 10. ... Classes begin Aug. 22. ... Former Utes Robert Conley and Spencer Toone are now graduate assistants on Gary Andersen's staff at Utah State. ... New FieldTurf has been installed at the Spence Eccles Field House. Besides a block "U" at midfield, one end zone will resemble paydirt at Rice-Eccles Stadium with red turf and "Utah" in white lettering. ... Bergstrom isn't the only Ute on a preseason watch list. Quarterback Jordan Wynn (Davey O'Brien Award), linebacker Chaz Walker (Rotary Lombardi Award) and wide receiver DeVonte Christopher (Biletnikoff Award) are also on early lists.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- Ex-MLB hurler winds up for Vermont governor...
- Penguins top Lightning 2-1 to advance to...
- Defending champion Warriors stave off...
- Championship Thursday: Four prep state titles...
- Serial winner Mourinho hired to revive fading...
- The last tackle powder puff football game...
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 56
- Utah and UVU assigned regionals; BYU... 43
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 42
- Pac-12 champs: Utah wins baseball title... 35
- Dick Harmon: With historic hoops... 25
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 22
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its... 20
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Dave Rose anxious to... 20