I recently read that Sen. Orrin Hatch will not specify what he would cut in the federal budget. He said, "When the time comes (for passing a balanced budget amendment), I will name them." I thing that is cowardly. The proposed amendment will not pass in the Senate. Without any tax increases, the federal budget would have to be cut by 34 percent. Discretionary spending only takes up 13 percent. That means drastic cuts in entitlements and Defense.
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- Jonathan Johnson: The truth about sales tax...
- In our opinion: Critics of porn resolution...
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Dan Liljenquist: Increasing police officer pay
- In our opinion: National security and... 77
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 35
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 31
- Letter: Coal and job creation 23
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 19