As a public school teacher of 22 years, I'm alarmed at the continuing attacks on our public schools.
Not long ago the Supreme Court ordered California to reduce the prison population because overcrowding violates constitutional protections against cruel and unusual punishment. I also am aware that for some time it has been unconstitutional in some states for prisons to be without air conditioning.
As a teacher, I have long advocated for air conditioning in all of our classrooms (we are finally scheduled to get air conditioning in our 45-year-old school). I have also been an advocate for smaller class size, yet we are witnessing an increase in the number of students per classroom in our state. Why is it that in our society, our children are thought of less than prisoners?
The latest attack on our association is to take away our ability to negotiate at the bargaining table. Whom do people believe we are bargaining for? I don't know of any teachers who went into this profession expecting to make big bucks, so be assured, we are negotiating for salaries that will allow us to remain in a profession we love. More importantly, we are negotiating to optimize our students' learning environment with smaller and more comfortable classrooms.
It is time for the public to stand up to those who are trying to demonize educators and support our public school teachers.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Paul Ryan's promising...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Becoming mentally...
- Involve Utahns in national monument designations
- Perceptions of Obama and his policies at home...
- Letter: Welfare reform
- Legitimate, productive businesses are...
- My view: Utah's Constitution requires state...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 80
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 54
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- In our opinion: Paul Ryan's promising... 50
- Capitalism and the common good:... 43
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 39
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the... 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36