COMMERCE CITY, Colo. — Sanna Nyassi scored two of his three goals in the first half to lead the Colorado Rapids to a 4-1 victory over the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday night.
It was Nyassi's first three goals of the year and only the seventh time a Rapids player had scored three times in a game. Wells Thompson added a goal for Colorado (7-6-9).
The Rapids needed a scoring lift as leading scorer Conor Casey earlier in the day had surgery to repair a torn Achilles tendon. Casey, the last Rapids to have a three-goal game, is expected to be sidelined for at least eight months.
Thierry Henry scored his 10th goal of the year for New York (6-5-11), who had been blanked in its previous two games.
REVOLUTION 1, D.C. UNITED: At Washington, Stephen McCarthy's header in the 73rd minute helped the New England Revolution snap a nine-game winless streak and earn their first road victory of the season. Chris Tierney set up the winner on a corner kick into the middle of the box for McCarthy, who then redirected the ball low down the right side to score his second goal of the season.
FC DALLAS 1, TORONTO FC 0: At Toronto, Brek Shea's goal in the 48th-minute lifted FC Dallas to a win over Toronto FC. It was Shea's ninth goal of the season for Dallas (11-5-5). He almost got his 10th in the 61st minute, but goalie Stefan Frei managed to get a leg on the shot.
EARTHQUAKES 2, WHITECAPS 2: At Santa Clara, Calif., Chris Wondolowski scored his first two goals since May to help San Jose. Wondolowski scored in the third and 54th minutes for San Jose (5-6-9). Eric Hassli responded in the 42nd and 61st minutes for Vancouver.
GALAXY 1, CREW 0: At Carson, Calif., Sean Franklin scored in the 70th minute and Los Angeles beat the Columbus Crew, extending the Galaxy's unbeaten streak to 13 games.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 75
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 63
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 40
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 30
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 24