I wonder if Rep. Jason Chaffetz really realizes what he is doing in running against Sen. Orrin Hatch. If he is successful, we will lose a golden opportunity to have a conservative Republican as the finance chairman in one of the most powerful departments of the government.
What will Chaffetz have gained? Possibly a seat in the Senate among the lowliest senators. Or if Matheson decides to run, Chaffetz then splits the Republican vote assuring another liberal Democrat in the Senate.
A Republican could become the chairman of finances, but Utah might lose out on a great opportunity and another big spender could become the chairman. Our decisions for political offices should be according to the message and prior record of that person, not longevity in the office. We need good men in the House of Representatives. Chaffetz should finish out his commitment to the voters and stay where he is.
Salt Lake City
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnell: Redefining marriage hurts...
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- John Hoffmire: How to save capitalism
- Robert Bennett: Make climate conversations...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- Letter: Dance dress code
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage debate...
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 102
- Janna Darnell: Redefining marriage... 81
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 62
- In our opinion: Religion in public life... 53
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- John Hoffmire: How to save capitalism 36
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 35