I wonder if Rep. Jason Chaffetz really realizes what he is doing in running against Sen. Orrin Hatch. If he is successful, we will lose a golden opportunity to have a conservative Republican as the finance chairman in one of the most powerful departments of the government.
What will Chaffetz have gained? Possibly a seat in the Senate among the lowliest senators. Or if Matheson decides to run, Chaffetz then splits the Republican vote assuring another liberal Democrat in the Senate.
A Republican could become the chairman of finances, but Utah might lose out on a great opportunity and another big spender could become the chairman. Our decisions for political offices should be according to the message and prior record of that person, not longevity in the office. We need good men in the House of Representatives. Chaffetz should finish out his commitment to the voters and stay where he is.
Salt Lake City
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 35
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 31
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 28
- My view: More whites should practice... 23
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 16
- Letter: Acting presidential 16