Mail Tribune, Bob Pennell
MEDFORD, Ore. — An Oregon man suspected of killing his wife and four children and setting fire to their house had been convicted of molesting children in California 21 years ago, court records show.
Jordan Adam Criado, 51, remained hospitalized Tuesday in a hospital in Medford, where police planned to arrest him as soon as he had recovered enough to leave.
Criado's wife and children - ages 2, 5, 6 and 7 - had stab wounds when they were pulled from their burning home on Monday, police said.
Criado had reported his wife, Tabasha Paige-Criado, 30, missing that morning. Police Chief Tim George said she was found later Monday and was returned home by officers, who saw her talking with Criado.
Two hours later, firefighters were working frantically to resuscitate her and her four children on the front lawn before taking them to the hospital, where they were pronounced dead.
The children were identified as Elijah Criado, 7; Isaac Criado, 6; Andrew Criado, 5, and Aurora Criado, 2.
Police said that the fire, which is considered arson, was started in several locations around the house.
Court records in California's Sacramento County showed that Criado was arrested in December 1989 and pleaded guilty in August 1990 to eight counts of lewd and lascivious acts with a child under 14. He was sentenced to 20 years in prison.
The allegations involved three victims, Deputy District Attorney Cindy Bessemer told The Associated Press. The convictions were first reported Tuesday by the Medford Mail Tribune.
Court records from Kern County, Calif., also showed Criado went back to jail for 91 days for failing to register as a sex offender.
Laurie Grow, a clerk at the Minute Mart convenience store where police found Paige-Criado, said the woman came in talking calmly on her telephone.
Grow said the woman bought three packets of fruit-flavored cigar wrappers, then sat at a table until police pulled into the parking lot. When she saw them, she got up and went outside.
Police said officers gave her a ride home, and that she did not appear frightened or nervous before police left.
- Breakthrough: Scientists detect...
- Last occupiers of Oregon wildlife refuge...
- Teen who killed 5 family members to be...
- Riot at prison in northern Mexico leaves 49...
- N. Korea orders military takeover of...
- Clinton, Sanders clash over minorities, money...
- FBI says it has surrounded last occupiers at...
- Punch, counterpunch: GOP hopefuls bare...
- Obama sends Congress record $4.1... 29
- Trump, Sanders victorious in New... 27
- Exit polls: Dems trust Sanders more... 23
- FBI says it has surrounded last... 23
- But is she honest? Caring? Clinton... 22
- Last occupiers of Oregon wildlife... 19
- Breakthrough: Scientists detect... 14
- Obama: 'strange things' happen when... 13