PROVO — BYU director of athletics Tom Holmoe announced Tuesday a home-and-home football series with Southern Miss for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.
The Cougars will play host to the Golden Eagles at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo in 2014 and travel to Carlisle-Faulkner Field at Roberts Stadium, in Hattiesburg, Miss., for the second game of the series in 2015.
"I'm pleased that Southern Miss agreed to play this series that allows both schools to have unique travel experiences and play very good competition," said Holmoe. "I'm excited that BYU fans in the South will have another opportunity to see our football team play live. As we continue to create our independent football schedules we hope to schedule these types of intersectional games."
The two teams have met previously in football just twice. The Golden Eagles defeated the Cougars 42-14 in Jackson, Miss., in 1975, while BYU claimed a 63-19 victory the following season in Provo.
"We have shown over our history that we like to play quality non-conference opponents and, by signing a home-and-home series with BYU, this is another example of that philosophy in our scheduling," said Southern Miss director of athletics Richard Giannini. "We know our fans will be excited about this series and we look forward to traveling to BYU in 2014 and hosting the Cougars in 2015."
Southern Miss has been a member of Conference USA since 1995. The Golden Eagles captured two College Division UPI National Football Championships in 1958 and 1962. Among its notable alumni is former NFL quarterback Brett Favre and College Football Hall of Fame punter Ray Guy.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 108
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 22
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21