RENO, Nev. — Former NFL quarterback Jim McMahon and two others were injured Monday when a limousine crashed through a fence south of Reno, the Nevada Highway Patrol said.
The Nevada Highway Patrol said the accident happened around 2 p.m. on U.S. 395.
The limo, owned by Bell Limousine of Reno, was heading north when it left the four-lane highway, crashed through a wire fence, over a culvert and into a pasture, Trooper Mike Edgell said.
"Right now he's in a lot of pain," Edgell said later Monday. He described McMahon's injuries as "non-incapacitating," and it wasn't immediately known if he would be admitted to the hospital.
A woman traveling with McMahon also was injured and being treated for non-life threatening injuries. The patrol identified her as Lori Navon, 45, of Scottsdale, Ariz.
The driver, Robert McCoy, 40, of Sparks, also was injured and taken to the Renown Regional Medical Center.
Alcohol was not involved and the cause of the accident was under investigation, Edgell said.
McMahon, 51, played 15 seasons in the NFL and helped the Chicago Bears win the Super Bowl in 1986.
He was at Lake Tahoe over the weekend, where he competed in the American Century Celebrity Golf Tournament at Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course.
McMahon and Navon were on their way to Reno-Tahoe International Airport when the accident happened, Edgell said.
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why OU...
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline about...
- Jazz not expected to be a major player (or...
- Reports: Jackson Vroman found dead
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake Heaps'...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 49
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 43
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline... 12
- Utah State wide receiver/kick returner... 10
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 10