RENO, Nev. — Former NFL quarterback Jim McMahon and two others were injured Monday when a limousine crashed through a fence south of Reno, the Nevada Highway Patrol said.
The Nevada Highway Patrol said the accident happened around 2 p.m. on U.S. 395.
The limo, owned by Bell Limousine of Reno, was heading north when it left the four-lane highway, crashed through a wire fence, over a culvert and into a pasture, Trooper Mike Edgell said.
"Right now he's in a lot of pain," Edgell said later Monday. He described McMahon's injuries as "non-incapacitating," and it wasn't immediately known if he would be admitted to the hospital.
A woman traveling with McMahon also was injured and being treated for non-life threatening injuries. The patrol identified her as Lori Navon, 45, of Scottsdale, Ariz.
The driver, Robert McCoy, 40, of Sparks, also was injured and taken to the Renown Regional Medical Center.
Alcohol was not involved and the cause of the accident was under investigation, Edgell said.
McMahon, 51, played 15 seasons in the NFL and helped the Chicago Bears win the Super Bowl in 1986.
He was at Lake Tahoe over the weekend, where he competed in the American Century Celebrity Golf Tournament at Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course.
McMahon and Navon were on their way to Reno-Tahoe International Airport when the accident happened, Edgell said.
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for Jabari...
- BYU football adds California DL Kainoa Fuiava...
- BYU basketball: First-grader given royal blue...
- Defense, rebounding, big second half propels...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired assistant...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State, 71-69
- Live stream: High school drill team state...
- High school football: Bountiful High coach...
- Morning links: Which Utah school has... 92
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 85
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 80
- BYU football: 2016 recruiting class... 42
- College football signing day central:... 34
- Morning links: Ty Detmer plays ping... 32
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 32
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29