RENO, Nev. — Former NFL and BYU quarterback Jim McMahon and two others were injured Monday when a limousine crashed through a fence south of Reno, the Nevada Highway Patrol said.
The Nevada Highway Patrol said the accident happened around 2 p.m. on U.S. 395.
The limo, owned by Bell Limousine of Reno, was heading north when it left the four-lane highway, crashed through a wire fence, over a culvert and into a pasture, Edgell said.
"Right now he's in a lot of pain," Edgell said later Monday. He described McMahon's injuries as "non-incapacitating," and it wasn't immediately known if he would be admitted to the hospital.
A woman traveling with McMahon also was injured and being treated for non-life threatening injuries. The patrol identified her as Lori Navon, 45, of Scottsdale, Ariz.
The driver, Robert McCoy, 40, of Sparks, also was injured and taken to the Renown Regional Medical Center.
Alcohol was not involved and the cause of the accident was under investigation, Edgell said.
McMahon, 51, played 15 seasons in the NFL and helped the Chicago Bears win the Super Bowl in 1986.
He was at Lake Tahoe over the weekend, where he competed in the American Century Celebrity Golf Tournament at Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course.
McMahon and Navon were on their way to Reno-Tahoe International Airport when the accident happened, Edgell said.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19