Real Salt Lake: Jamison Olave, Kyle Beckerman named to MLS All-Star team
SANDY — Kyle Beckerman was injured last summer and couldn't participate in the MLS All-Star Game against Manchester United. He'll get another chance to test himself against one of Europe's elite next week.
Beckerman and Real Salt Lake teammate Jamison Olave were named to the 2011 MLS All-Star Team that will face Manchester United on July 27 at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J.
Hans Backe, the New York coach who will manage the all-stars, revealed his 22-man gameday roster on Monday. Among Backe's 22 players were seven of the 11 players voted in by the fans via online balloting. Four of those players (Kasey Keller, Omar Gonalez, Rafael Marquez and Brek Shea) are unavailable, though, because of CONCACAF Champions League games or injuries.
With Seattle's Keller unavailable, Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando seemed like a shoo-in to be named to the squad. He's second in MLS with a 0.75 goals-against average, second only to L.A.'s Donovan Ricketts. Backe, however, passed up Rimando by selecting Houston's Tally Hall and Philadelphia's Faryd Mondragon.
Rimando was an MLS All-Star last year and played in the second half of Manchester United's 5-2 victory, allowing four of the five goals. Olave and Javier Morales were both in the starting 11 in that match.
Backe has a host of MLS stars to choose from when selecting his starting 11, including Los Angeles' David Beckham and Landon Donovan, New York's Thierry Henry and Kansas City's Omar Bravo. Olave seems like a good bet to start the match after being named the MLS Defender of the Year in 2010.
Here's a look at the complete MLS All-Star team:
Goalkeepers: Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Faryd Mondragon (Philadelphia Union)
Defenders: Corey Ashe (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Bobby Convey (San Jose Earthquakes), Sean Franklin (L.A. Galaxy), Jamison Olave (Real Salt Lake), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls).
Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), David Beckham (L.A. Galaxy), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Jack Jewsbury (Portland Timbers), Shalrie Joseph (New England Revolution), Nick LaBrocca (Chivas USA).
Forwards: Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Omar Bravo (Sporting Kansas City), Omar Cummings (Colorado Rapids), Landon Donovan (L.A. Galaxy), Thierry Henry (New York Red Bulls), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes).
Inactive All-Stars: Kasey Keller (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Rafa Marquez (New York Red Bulls), Brek Shea (FC Dallas).
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Jazz notes: Trey Lyles still not with team...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 105
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 24