But that is not all, oh no, that is not all. I was blessed with two other experiences to emphasize the point. (Being spiritually dense, Heavenly Father has to use remedial techniques with me.) I was reading the Doctrine and Covenants Children's Reader with my son and we just happened to be on the story of the night the prophet Joseph Smith was dragged from his home by a mob to be beaten, poisoned, tarred and feathered and left for dead. His family and friends cared for him through the night. The next morning he presided and spoke to a congregation that included members of the mob. When we finished reading the story my son asked me why I was crying. I had been humbled. No matter what happened the night before, no matter who was going to be at church in the morning, Joseph would attend to his church responsibilities humbly serving God and his children.
The finale came from the Book of Mormon. (I marvel when, in my personal scripture study, I just happen to be on a chapter that offers answers to a current concern.) I was reading the writings of Mormon who was called at a very young age to lead a band of wicked people into a series of fruitless battles. At one point he was so frustrated he refused to take part anymore… (I could relate.) He later repented of his refusal and returned to be their leader. Mormon didn't return to help his people because they or their cause had changed for the better. In fact, they were even more wicked than before! Mormon served them for the change that would take place in himself if he exercised faith in what he didn't yet understand, but believed in God's promises for him in the end.
Whom I serve and the situation I serve in is unimportant. It's my own journey towards becoming Christlike that matters. I had been spiritually fed a three course meal with a side of tuna.
Kari J. Rich lives in Petersboro, Utah.
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- LDS missionaries share messages about...
- 6 Mormon sisters share uplifting music with...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared LDS Scouts rescue couple off...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Video purports to show second beheading of US...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 66
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 18
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 8
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Brigham Young, Utah War topic of... 3