President Obama just offered to cut the debt by $4 trillion over 10 years. The Republicans said no, they'd rather go for a $2 trillion cut.
I'm starting to think that the Republicans actually love the national debt. After all, it gives them an excuse to do all of the things they've always wanted to do: privatize Medicare, cut Social Security, gut environmental protections and destroy unions
Absent a debt crisis, they could never get away with any of this because it is all very unpopular politically.
I think they will try to keep this a crisis for as long as possible.
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Jay Evensen: Utahns support Common Core, even...
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse tends to...
- Michael Gerson: State of Israel: History...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Lessons learned from...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 82
- Letter: Police brutality 62
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 48
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core... 29
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 29