President Obama just offered to cut the debt by $4 trillion over 10 years. The Republicans said no, they'd rather go for a $2 trillion cut.
I'm starting to think that the Republicans actually love the national debt. After all, it gives them an excuse to do all of the things they've always wanted to do: privatize Medicare, cut Social Security, gut environmental protections and destroy unions
Absent a debt crisis, they could never get away with any of this because it is all very unpopular politically.
I think they will try to keep this a crisis for as long as possible.
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Re-enactment...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 109
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 72
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 52
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 46
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 45
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 33