President Obama just offered to cut the debt by $4 trillion over 10 years. The Republicans said no, they'd rather go for a $2 trillion cut.
I'm starting to think that the Republicans actually love the national debt. After all, it gives them an excuse to do all of the things they've always wanted to do: privatize Medicare, cut Social Security, gut environmental protections and destroy unions
Absent a debt crisis, they could never get away with any of this because it is all very unpopular politically.
I think they will try to keep this a crisis for as long as possible.
- My view: The solution to Utah's water problems
- In our opinion: Legislators need to better...
- Dan Liljenquist: What we learned from the...
- My view: Is the Division of Water Resources...
- My view: Get insurance out of health care
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Last year's Utah Compromise is a model in...
- Richard Davis: Do presidents have to be...
- Richard Davis: Do presidents have to be... 55
- My view: Get insurance out of health care 47
- My view: Obama's veto won't save Obamacare 34
- In our opinion: Attempting to... 32
- My view: 'Death with dignity' and... 27
- In our opinion: Concerned voters a good... 23
- Trump and Sanders 22
- John Hoffmire: Electric cars and the... 20