President Obama just offered to cut the debt by $4 trillion over 10 years. The Republicans said no, they'd rather go for a $2 trillion cut.
I'm starting to think that the Republicans actually love the national debt. After all, it gives them an excuse to do all of the things they've always wanted to do: privatize Medicare, cut Social Security, gut environmental protections and destroy unions
Absent a debt crisis, they could never get away with any of this because it is all very unpopular politically.
I think they will try to keep this a crisis for as long as possible.
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- W. Bradford Wilcox: The new progressive...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Are...
- In our opinion: Don't 'Army-ize' local police...
- Letter: Singles solution
- John Hoffmire: To feed the world, we must...
- Charles Krauthammer: The jihadi logic
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on marriage?
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 96
- Letter: Bush dilemma 2.0 39
- W. Bradford Wilcox: The new progressive... 34
- George F. Will: Obama needs Congress to... 27
- In our opinion: How committed are... 26
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test? 24
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Are... 21
- My view: Intergenerational poverty the... 19