President Obama just offered to cut the debt by $4 trillion over 10 years. The Republicans said no, they'd rather go for a $2 trillion cut.
I'm starting to think that the Republicans actually love the national debt. After all, it gives them an excuse to do all of the things they've always wanted to do: privatize Medicare, cut Social Security, gut environmental protections and destroy unions
Absent a debt crisis, they could never get away with any of this because it is all very unpopular politically.
I think they will try to keep this a crisis for as long as possible.
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation that...
- Jay Evensen: Unfortunately, Canada may never...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- Anne Loeser: Reverse trends about breast cancer
- My view: New treatment can cure Hepatitis C
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 152
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 73
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 31
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 30
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 28
- Letter: Uninformed candidate 27
- In our opinion: School reformers should... 26