That could help explain why McConnell put forward the plan that would give new power to Obama to raise the debt ceiling.
The proposal would place the burden on Obama to win debt ceiling increases up to three times, provided he was able to override congressional vetoes — a threshold Obama could manage without a single Republican vote and without massive spending cuts. Conservatives promptly criticized the plan for giving up the leverage to reduce deficits. But the plan raised the prospect of combining it with some of the spending cuts already identified by the White House in order to win support from conservatives in the House.
Associated Press writers Dave Espo, Laurie Kellman, Ben Feller, Julie Pace, Martin Crutsinger and Erica Werner in Washington and Pallavi Gogoi in New York contributed to this report.
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in 2015...
- Obama administration allows 2-year extension...
- Girl Scouts asked to end partnership with Barbie
- 23 Mormon missionaries in Ukraine transferred...
- New Ukraine prime minister: Crimea will...
- Former baseball star Mariano Rivera rescues,...
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of... 51
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 24
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 21
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 21
- Thousands march in pro-invasion rally... 11
- Obama appeals to Democrats in 2015... 11
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 11
- Ukrainian software professionals... 10