Rep. Michele Bachmann poses a sufficiently formidable threat to GOP frontrunner Mitt Romney that talk is already swirling about the two presidential candidates potentially joining forces for a Romney-Bachmann ticket.
McKay Coppins explores the Romney-Bachmann angle at The Daily Beast in an article published Wednesday.
"'I think (Romney's people) view her as a significant opponent,' says Chuck Warren, a national political consultant who has frequent contact with the Romney campaign but is not affiliated with it. He adds, 'I think they believe it is still early, but take her seriously.' … Of course, whoever emerges the victor, Warren says, there is one potential result that could appease both camps: a Romney-Bachmann ticket. 'Whatever questions people have about Romney's social bona fides, she would bring that in,' says Warren. 'And at the same time, Romney helps with the fiscal issues. Everywhere I go I keep hearing that the two of them together would be powerful.' "
Romney aides say Warren is neither involved in the campaign nor privy to campaign strategy.
New polling shows Romney still leads the Republican field with 25 percent, but Bachmann has surged into second place with 14 percent.
"It's possible to interpret Bachmann's surge as a fleeting early-summer phenomenon. The explosion on her poll numbers and media visibility can be traced to her breakout performance at the first major GOP debate, just over a month ago. Whatever you think of the substance of her comments that night, Bachmann showed far more poise and polish than many had been expecting, and the positive reviews helped generate enthusiasm among a Republican base that has been yearning for someone, anyone, to get excited about."
Jonathan Martin explores at length for Politico a comparison between Bachmann's current candidacy and the Howard Dean campaign of 2004.
"Michele Bachmann hasn't declared yet that she's running to represent 'the Republican wing of the Republican Party,' but that's all that's missing from a presidential bid that bears more than a passing resemblance to Democrat Howard Dean's in 2004."
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org, twitter: askargo
- Police: 3 killed, 9 wounded in attack at...
- Colorado shooting attack suspect left few...
- These touching Christmas ads will melt any...
- White House undergoes holiday lockdown after...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Local free community college plans may be...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Carson visiting Syrian refugees in Jordan
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 96
- Obama admin says states lack authority... 37
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 27
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 25
- Police: 3 killed, 9 wounded in attack... 22
- Obama pledges solidarity with France,... 19
- Officer charged with murder in teen's... 18
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says... 17