ESPYS: Jimmer Fredette awarded Best Male College Athlete
LOS ANGELES — Jimmer's done it again.
After winning nearly every collegiate national player of the year honor including the Naismith, Wooden and AP awards, former BYU basketball star Jimmer Fredette added one more award Wednesday night: the ESPY for Best Male College Athlete.
He beat out the University of Connecticut's Kemba Walker — who was drafted one spot before Jimmer — as well as top hockey player Andy Miele (Miami-Ohio), Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton (Auburn) and Cornell lacrosse star Rob Pannell for the award given at Nokia Theater.
The 6-foot-2 Fredette averaged 28.9 points his senior season for BYU and set career records at the school for points, 3-pointers, 30-point games, 40-point games and wins in a career.
After accepting the award, Fredette thanked his family, everyone back in Glens Falls, N.Y., his girlfriend, who accompanied him to the event and everyone at BYU.
"I couldn't have done it without my teammates," he said.
Winners at the 19th annual ESPY Awards presented Wednesday:
Male Athlete: Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks
Female Athlete: Lindsey Vonn, skiing
Team: Dallas Mavericks
Coach-Manager: Rick Carlisle, Dallas Mavericks
Breakthrough Athlete: Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers
Game: Eagles rally to beat the Giants, 38-31
Championship Performance: Tim Thomas, Boston Bruins
Moment: Roy Halladay's playoff no-hitter against the Cincinnati Reds.
Upset: Virginia Commonwealth men's NCAA basketball tourney
Sports Movie: "The Fighter"
Male College Athlete: Jimmer Fredette, BYU Basketball
Female College Athlete: Maya Moore, Connecticut basketball
Male Action Sport Athlete: Shaun White, snowboading
Female Action Sport Athlete: Stephanie Gilmore, surfing
Baseball Player: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia
NBA Player: Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas
WNBA Player: Diana Taurasi, Phoenix Mercury
NFL Player: Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay
NHL Player: Tim Thomas, Boston
MLS Player: Landon Donovan, Los Angeles Galaxy
Bowler: Jason Belmonte
Driver: Jimmie Johnson
Fighter: Manny Pacquiao
Male Golfer: Rory McIlroy
Female Golfer: Cristie Kerr
Jockey: John Velasquez
Male Tennis Player: Rafael Nadal
Female Tennis Player: Serena Williams
Track and Field Athlete: Tyson Gay
Male Athlete with a Disability: Anthony Robles, wrestling
Female Athlete with a Disability: Mallory Weggemann, swimming
Performance Under Pressure: Arian Foster, Houston Texans
Arthur Ashe Courage Award: Dewey Bozella
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44