Jon Huntsman Jr. implored voters Monday night in South Carolina to compare his gubernatorial record in Utah to Mitt Romney's in Massachusetts.
Huntsman, speaking to approximately 200 Republicans at Mutt's Barbeque in Greer, said, "Take a look at what we have done — simply stated take a look at what we have done. … When you look at the absolute increases in job creation, Utah led the United States in job creation. That compared and contrasted with other states — say, Massachusetts, I'll just pull that out randomly — not first, but 47th."
"Huntsman's critique was fairly gentle — he made clear he meant to refer to his main New Hampshire rival, without naming him," Maggie Haberman wrote for Politico. "It's not clear right now that Huntsman can gain the ground he needs by bringing a knife to what's quickly becoming a gun fight in advance of the Ames Straw Poll in Iowa, but since he's skipping that state and has months until the New Hampshire primary, he has some time."
"While record-comparing is still the theme of Huntsman's stump speech, his delivery has taken a clear turn … (from) his usual no-names-mentioned approach to campaigning," observed ABC News reporter Sarah Kunin, who was present at Monday's event.
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org twitter: askargo
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support to...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 95
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 90
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 30
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19