Bryant's father to coach WNBA team
LOS ANGELES — The Los Angeles Sparks have dismissed Jennifer Gillom as coach and replaced her with Joe "Jellybean" Bryant, the father of Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant who previously coached the WNBA team.
General manager Penny Toler announced the move Sunday night, saying it was necessary to take the team in a different direction.
Bryant previously coached the Sparks from August 2005 through the 2006 season, guiding them to two playoff appearances. He was hired in March as an assistant to Gillom. Sandy Brondello remains as an assistant.
Vrabel retires from NFL, takes OSU job
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Former All-Pro linebacker Mike Vrabel is retiring from the Kansas City Chiefs and returning to his alma mater as an Ohio State assistant coach.
Vrabel confirmed Monday morning the end of his 14-year career and that he had taken the job as linebackers coach with the Buckeyes. The position was previously held by his college roommate and teammate, Luke Fickell, who was elevated to interim head coach when Jim Tressel resigned May 30.
Vrabel played for Pittsburgh and New England before closing out his career with the Chiefs.
ESPN sues Ohio State over records
COLUMBUS, Ohio — ESPN has sued Ohio State University, alleging the school violated state public records law by denying requests for items related to an NCAA investigation that has led to the loss of football coach Jim Tressel and star quarterback Terrelle Pryor.
The lawsuit filed Monday in the Ohio Supreme Court asks justices to order the university to release the records and pay attorney fees and court costs.
— Deseret News staff and wire reports
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 33
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 18
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14