FOOTBALL: The preseason accolades for Southern Utah quarterback Brad Sorensen continue to roll in as the junior from Grand Terrace, Calif. (Colton HS/San Bernardino Valley College/BYU), was named to the 2011 Payton Award watch list by The Sports Network, it was announced this morning.
Sorensen, who was tabbed as the third-best non-FBS player in the nation last week by ESPN.com and has already been named to Consensus Draft Services pre-season all-America list as well as to the College Football Performance Awards 2011 watch list, joins 19 other players at the FCS level on the pre-season watch list for the Payton Award, the FCS version of the Heisman Trophy.
Last year Sorensen threw for 21 touchdowns and a school-record 3,231 yards while leading the team to its first Great West Conference championship and earning consensus first-team all-GWC honors at the quarterback position.
He is the top returning passer in the FCS ranks in terms of completions per game, with an average of 23.73 last season, a figure which ranked fourth overall. He also ranked fourth in yards per game with 287.55, the second-best average among quarterbacks returning for the 2011 season. In addition to those two marks, Sorensen was sixth last season in both total passing yards (3,231) and passing efficiency (149.74), numbers which check in third among returning quarterbacks, and was eighth in total offense with 288.18 yards per game, fifth-best among returning players.
Sorensen is the second Thunderbird in as many years to be named to the watch list and the third SUU player overall to be named. Last year senior wide receiver Tysson Poots was on the list, and in 2000 quarterback Matt Cannon became SUU's first Payton Award Watch list honoree.
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42