Unless and until another Utah woman wins a statewide or federal election, the issues of gender and legacy will remain inexorably intertwined for Walker. Asked to define her own political legacy as Utah's only female governor, her initial response included enthusiasm that a "viable candidate" like House Speaker Becky Lockhart is reportedly mulling gubernatorial aspirations. Then, though, Walker's tone changed course.
"I think there's still some mentality that women aren't capable of serving in those offices," Walker confessed. "I still think there's some concern, and there are some opinions that it's a man's job and only when they don't find a capable man to fill the role will they consider a woman. I think it's tradition that slowly will change, but I'm not certain it's changed sufficiently for a woman to be elected (governor).
"I hope I made some difference. … I hope I'm remembered as a person that cared about Utah and its future. I never felt I was a politician — and that may be naive, but I felt my focus was always on improving the state."
426: days Olene Walker served as Utah governor
1: female governors in Utah's history
5: states with no woman in Congress or statewide office (Ga., Miss., Nebr., Utah, Va.)
80: Walker's age today
Email: email@example.com. Twitter: askargo
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv, not...
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- Impeachment investigation 'highly likely,'...
- Attorney General John Swallow tells House...
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- Unlicensed midwife charged in death of Moab...
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview... 38
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,... 30
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- 2 others back up extortion claims... 21
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at... 21
- Attorneys for AG John Swallow say... 20
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 20