President Obama put Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid on the budget talks bargaining table. House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said she and fellow Democratic lawmakers will oppose including cuts in Social Security or Medicare benefits in any package aimed at reducing huge federal deficits. "We are not going to balance the budget on the backs of America's seniors," Pelosi said.
What she and her fellow Democrats are saying is they are going to balance the budget on the backs of our children and grandchildren. Their voices are not heard because they can't vote.
The Social Security system worked fine when there were forty workers for every beneficiary, as there were in 1935. But over time, demographics changed. Life expectancy rose. The birthrate fell. As a result, by 2005 there were only three workers paying into the system for every beneficiary.
Now the ratio is two to one. Additionally, Medicaid is swallowing up an ever-increasing portion of state budgets, taking more and more money from funding our children's education. Do not balance the budget on the backs of children.
Kevin C. Cromar
- In our opinion: The breach between mass...
- David Blankenhorn: Overcoming the blindness...
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second...
- Drew Clark: Deeply felt religious faith, of...
- Letter: Excess political science
- Letter: 'Kate's Law'
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Speaker of...
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second... 88
- In our opinion: The breach between mass... 54
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum... 51
- Letter: Greater security 51
- Letter: Our French Revolution 30
- Letter: Excess political science 30
- In our opinion: Suspended Alaskan oil... 26
- Letter: Kill off expansion 25