President Obama put Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid on the budget talks bargaining table. House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said she and fellow Democratic lawmakers will oppose including cuts in Social Security or Medicare benefits in any package aimed at reducing huge federal deficits. "We are not going to balance the budget on the backs of America's seniors," Pelosi said.
What she and her fellow Democrats are saying is they are going to balance the budget on the backs of our children and grandchildren. Their voices are not heard because they can't vote.
The Social Security system worked fine when there were forty workers for every beneficiary, as there were in 1935. But over time, demographics changed. Life expectancy rose. The birthrate fell. As a result, by 2005 there were only three workers paying into the system for every beneficiary.
Now the ratio is two to one. Additionally, Medicaid is swallowing up an ever-increasing portion of state budgets, taking more and more money from funding our children's education. Do not balance the budget on the backs of children.
Kevin C. Cromar
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- Rely on invisible hand?
- George F. Will: Break the dentists' hold on...
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 39
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 32
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 31
- Letter: Coal and job creation 24