Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The contest between Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman Jr.
Pignanelli: Each candidate one has a different approach towards politics and their religion — both articulate and attractive. Americans will learn that Mormons have contributed to our country's heritage, and could offer so much in the future. In the next year, many preconceived notions and prejudices will be dismantled and eliminated.
Webb: These are two solid candidates, and Utahns should be proud of both of them. Romney is running a very good race and has a real shot at winning the nomination. The nation is finally seeing the real Mitt Romney.
I love Huntsman's campaign approach, running as the adult in the race, a reasonable, competent leader who is out to tackle problems and make tough decisions, rather than engage in political attacks and pander to ideologues and extremists. If Huntsman will couple his "grown up" approach with realistic proposals and solutions for balancing the budget, entitlement reform, immigration and health reform — even if it's tough medicine — he will emerge from this race, perhaps not with the nomination, but with a great deal of respect and goodwill for future political engagements.
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D'Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. Email: email@example.com.
- Who said it: Reagan or Clinton?
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Jay Evensen: Forest Service photo rules are...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Letter: Sluggish global warming
- Letter: Campaign disservice
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: For my grandpa
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 109
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 67
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 47
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 40
- Letter: Sluggish global warming 35
- Robert Bennett: Make climate... 30
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code 30