BYU adds recognition, but still competitive for West Coast Conference
Jamie Zaninovich file
BACKGROUND: Zaninovich was named the West Coast Conference commissioner on March 9, 2008, becoming just the second full-time commissioner of the league. Zaninovich had spent the previous five years as senior associate athletic director for external relations at Princeton University. Prior to that, he served as senior assistant athletic director for stragetic planning and men's basketball operations at Stanford. He earned a Master's degree in Business Administration at Stanford in 2001. A Eugene, Ore., native, Zaninovich also earned an undergraduate degree from Stanford (in political science and communications) in 1993 and worked as the men's basketball marketing and operations director at Stanford from 1996-99. He worked for two years as a producer for Sports Byline USA, a nationally syndicated sports radio network. He also spent one year as a financial analyst. He worked in marketing and business development for Quokkasports/NBCOlympics.com, helping produce the official website of the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia, and formulating online and offline marketing initiatives for the event.
OTHER POSITIONS: In February, the NCAA announced that Zaninovich has been appointed to the Division I Men's Basketball Committee, beginning this year. He is the current chair of the Division I Collegiate Commissioners Association and helped create a partnership with the Pac-10 and Big West conferences to assist with the training and evaluation of men's and women's basketball officials.
HONORS: Zaninovich was named one of the prestigious "40 Under 40" honorees by the Sports Business Journal in 2010 as one of the top young professionals in the sports industry.
PERSONAL: Zaninovich, his wife Karen, and sons Max (4) and Lucas (2), reside in Millbrae, Calif.
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars looking...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 182
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 38
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 29