BYU adds recognition, but still competitive for West Coast Conference
Jamie Zaninovich file
BACKGROUND: Zaninovich was named the West Coast Conference commissioner on March 9, 2008, becoming just the second full-time commissioner of the league. Zaninovich had spent the previous five years as senior associate athletic director for external relations at Princeton University. Prior to that, he served as senior assistant athletic director for stragetic planning and men's basketball operations at Stanford. He earned a Master's degree in Business Administration at Stanford in 2001. A Eugene, Ore., native, Zaninovich also earned an undergraduate degree from Stanford (in political science and communications) in 1993 and worked as the men's basketball marketing and operations director at Stanford from 1996-99. He worked for two years as a producer for Sports Byline USA, a nationally syndicated sports radio network. He also spent one year as a financial analyst. He worked in marketing and business development for Quokkasports/NBCOlympics.com, helping produce the official website of the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia, and formulating online and offline marketing initiatives for the event.
OTHER POSITIONS: In February, the NCAA announced that Zaninovich has been appointed to the Division I Men's Basketball Committee, beginning this year. He is the current chair of the Division I Collegiate Commissioners Association and helped create a partnership with the Pac-10 and Big West conferences to assist with the training and evaluation of men's and women's basketball officials.
HONORS: Zaninovich was named one of the prestigious "40 Under 40" honorees by the Sports Business Journal in 2010 as one of the top young professionals in the sports industry.
PERSONAL: Zaninovich, his wife Karen, and sons Max (4) and Lucas (2), reside in Millbrae, Calif.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Utes capped comeback season with lopsided Las...
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs.... 67
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 36
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26