SALT LAKE CITY — The Fort Collins Colorado Temple, the 158th temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the second in Colorado, will be built on the southeast corner of the intersection of Trilby Road and Timberline Road, church officials announced Friday.
The new temple site is across the street from an LDS meetinghouse in Fort Collins.
"We appreciate the many people from Fort Collins who have worked with us during the site selection process," said Russell McClure, president of the Ft. Collins Colorado Stake. "We feel this new temple will be a great asset not only to members of the church in Colorado and the region, but also to the people of Fort Collins, who will benefit from the peace and beauty a temple brings."
Plans to build a temple in Fort Collins were announced at the April 2011 General Conference of the church. It will join the Denver Colorado Temple in serving Latter-day Saints on the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains.
"Having a temple here in Fort Collins is such a great blessing to our members," said Steven Garrett, president of the Loveland Colorado Stake. "Temples are where members participate in the most meaningful and significant rites of our religion — where we make and renew promises to God and to our families."
Construction of the new temple will begin within the next few months and will continue for approximately two years.
There are currently 160 LDS temples now in service, under construction or planned throughout the world.
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Judge orders girl to stand trial for...
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases on...
- Top Ten Spring Activities for Utah Families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 104
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 76
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 75
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 61
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 43
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24