SALT LAKE CITY — The Fort Collins Colorado Temple, the 158th temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the second in Colorado, will be built on the southeast corner of the intersection of Trilby Road and Timberline Road, church officials announced Friday.
The new temple site is across the street from an LDS meetinghouse in Fort Collins.
"We appreciate the many people from Fort Collins who have worked with us during the site selection process," said Russell McClure, president of the Ft. Collins Colorado Stake. "We feel this new temple will be a great asset not only to members of the church in Colorado and the region, but also to the people of Fort Collins, who will benefit from the peace and beauty a temple brings."
Plans to build a temple in Fort Collins were announced at the April 2011 General Conference of the church. It will join the Denver Colorado Temple in serving Latter-day Saints on the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains.
"Having a temple here in Fort Collins is such a great blessing to our members," said Steven Garrett, president of the Loveland Colorado Stake. "Temples are where members participate in the most meaningful and significant rites of our religion — where we make and renew promises to God and to our families."
Construction of the new temple will begin within the next few months and will continue for approximately two years.
There are currently 160 LDS temples now in service, under construction or planned throughout the world.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Father vows to keep looking for Susan Cox Powell
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 19
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 14