NCAA to revisit recruiting legislation
INDIANAPOLIS — Legislation that allowed NCAA Division I schools to contact high school juniors by phone in sports other than football and men's basketball has been suspended because many schools are against it.
The legislation passed in April, but NCAA.org says numerous schools have since raised concerns about extending the recruiting process, forcing the NCAA to revisit its ruling. The Division I Legislative Council will hold a conference call on July 14 to reconsider the proposal because it received 106 override requests by the June 27 deadline. It is just the second proposal since 1997 to eclipse 100 override requests.
It takes 30 requests to require the council to revisit the legislation and 100 for the legislation to be suspended until either the council reverses its earlier action, amends the proposal or reconsiders the legislation and maintains its position.
The legislation approved in April would have allowed recruiters one telephone call per month to prospects or their families after June 14 at the end of the prospect's sophomore year in high school through July 31 after their junior year. It also would allow two telephone calls per week beginning August 1 before the prospect's senior year of high school.
Nantz to receive prestigious honor
CANTON, Ohio — Announcer Jim Nantz will receive this year's Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award from the Pro Football Hall of Fame for "longtime exceptional contributions to radio and television in professional football."
Nantz has been the lead play-by-play voice for CBS's NFL coverage since 2004. He also was honored by the Pro Basketball Hall of Fame with the Curt Gowdy Media Award in 2002. Nantz joins Dick Enberg and Gowdy as the only broadcasters to be recognized by both the football and basketball halls.
At 52, he is the youngest-ever recipient of the Rozelle Award.
- Utah football: The Michigan Wolverines in 6...
- BYU football notebook: Team captains named,...
- Nebraska hoping for balanced offense attack...
- Cougars football team undergoing reality...
- Dick Harmon: Who will face toughest QBs this...
- NFL cuts tracker (updated): Former BYU WR...
- Take expletives, not religion, out of football
- Amy Donaldson: Football has helped Ute...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 93
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 30
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- BYU football: With opener one week... 23
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 21
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 18
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4... 16