NCAA to revisit recruiting legislation
INDIANAPOLIS — Legislation that allowed NCAA Division I schools to contact high school juniors by phone in sports other than football and men's basketball has been suspended because many schools are against it.
The legislation passed in April, but NCAA.org says numerous schools have since raised concerns about extending the recruiting process, forcing the NCAA to revisit its ruling. The Division I Legislative Council will hold a conference call on July 14 to reconsider the proposal because it received 106 override requests by the June 27 deadline. It is just the second proposal since 1997 to eclipse 100 override requests.
It takes 30 requests to require the council to revisit the legislation and 100 for the legislation to be suspended until either the council reverses its earlier action, amends the proposal or reconsiders the legislation and maintains its position.
The legislation approved in April would have allowed recruiters one telephone call per month to prospects or their families after June 14 at the end of the prospect's sophomore year in high school through July 31 after their junior year. It also would allow two telephone calls per week beginning August 1 before the prospect's senior year of high school.
Nantz to receive prestigious honor
CANTON, Ohio — Announcer Jim Nantz will receive this year's Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award from the Pro Football Hall of Fame for "longtime exceptional contributions to radio and television in professional football."
Nantz has been the lead play-by-play voice for CBS's NFL coverage since 2004. He also was honored by the Pro Basketball Hall of Fame with the Curt Gowdy Media Award in 2002. Nantz joins Dick Enberg and Gowdy as the only broadcasters to be recognized by both the football and basketball halls.
At 52, he is the youngest-ever recipient of the Rozelle Award.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25