Farmers say they can't get legal workers to work for the wages they pay and the seasons are short. I see two answers to this. First, pay higher wages. This will drive prices up, but that is the price we will pay to stop the illegal immigration. This would have to be coupled with making all employers use E-Verify and penalize those that don't.
Second, require all those that are receiving unemployment and welfare to work at these seasonal jobs as a condition of receiving their money from the government. This in turn would help bring down the national debt and make labor available for the farmers.
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- My view: Powdr Corp and Park City Mountain...
- The relationship between religiosity and...
- Improving voter turnout still a tough nut to...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 74
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- Join the discussion: Is it impossible... 32