Farmers say they can't get legal workers to work for the wages they pay and the seasons are short. I see two answers to this. First, pay higher wages. This will drive prices up, but that is the price we will pay to stop the illegal immigration. This would have to be coupled with making all employers use E-Verify and penalize those that don't.
Second, require all those that are receiving unemployment and welfare to work at these seasonal jobs as a condition of receiving their money from the government. This in turn would help bring down the national debt and make labor available for the farmers.
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Long-term...
- In our opinion: Liberal arts vs STEM...
- Drew Clark: After 50 years, Moore's Law...
- In our opinion: Fabricated Rolling Stone...
- My view: History reveals some correct beliefs...
- Letter: Next president?
- Letter: Costly benefits
- Ralph Hancock: Religious freedom and... 75
- Letter: Wrong wage approach 47
- Letter: No more hungry kids 41
- Kathleen Parker: Hillary Clinton's... 40
- Greg Bell: The problem of being a... 40
- Utah's 'grand bargain' stands in sharp... 34
- Letter: Unemployment compensation 33
- Letter: Intimate caucus system 27