Farmers say they can't get legal workers to work for the wages they pay and the seasons are short. I see two answers to this. First, pay higher wages. This will drive prices up, but that is the price we will pay to stop the illegal immigration. This would have to be coupled with making all employers use E-Verify and penalize those that don't.
Second, require all those that are receiving unemployment and welfare to work at these seasonal jobs as a condition of receiving their money from the government. This in turn would help bring down the national debt and make labor available for the farmers.
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- Ralph Becker: Reaching for the best of the...
- George F. Will: Adding Pence the pliable to...
- My view: Supporting Utah's public education...
- Charles Krauthammer: Notes from Cleveland:...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 38
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 30
- Letter: Acting presidential 26
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 25
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22
- My view: Drafting women a threat to... 17