The Associated Press
EL-ARISH, Egypt — Masked assailants blew up the Egyptian pipeline that carries gas to Israel and Jordan early on Monday, starting a fire that burned for hours and disrupting the flow of the gas, security officials said.
The blast targeted a pumping station at a location of about 65 miles (100 kilometers) south of the Mediterranean coastal city of El-Arish in the northern part of the Sinai Peninsula.
El-Arish is 30 miles (50 kilometers) west of Israel's border.
The officials said the attackers, armed with assault rifles, arrived in two pickup trucks without number plates and forced the three security guards on duty to leave before placing the explosives and shooting the pipeline's valves to release the gas.
The explosion triggered a blaze that took firemen at least seven hours to extinguish, they said.
The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media, said there were no casualties.
Monday's blast was the third to hit the strategic pipeline since an uprising overthrew Egypt's longtime leader Hosni Mubarak in February.
No one claimed responsibility for Monday's explosion. Disgruntled Bedouin tribesmen in the area have been blamed for attacking the pipeline in the past. Islamists opposed to Egypt's 1979 peace treaty with Israel have also been suspected.
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Sex education should start sooner, study finds
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels, with or...
- Sorting out the claims after pipe break: Who...
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- The creepiest Internet-related happenings of...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 53
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 47
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 37
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 30
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 28
- House leaders abandon border bill 25
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 15