LOS ANGELES — The Los Angeles Dodgers says paychecks for some part-time game day staffers bounced, but not because the team didn't have enough money to cover them.
Dodgers spokesman Josh Rawitch said Thursday that when the team filed for bankruptcy, its accounts were frozen for 48 hours.
Some security guards and ushers found their paychecks had bounced. Those who have direct deposit weren't affected.
Rawitch says the checks were reissued Wednesday.
The team filed for bankruptcy on Monday. Owner Frank McCourt, who is in the middle of a high-stakes divorce, blames baseball Commissioner Bud Selig for refusing to approve a multibillion-dollar TV deal.
On Tuesday, a bankruptcy judge in Delaware authorized the team to borrow $60 million to make payroll.
FIELDER AND ORTIZ TO CAPTAIN DERBY TEAMS: Prince Fielder and David Ortiz will get to pick their teammates for the All-Star Home Run Derby.
Major League Baseball announced on Thursday that Fielder of the Milwaukee Brewers was chosen as captain of the National League squad and Ortiz of the Boston Red Sox was picked to be the American League captain.
The last two derby winners will each pick three teammates for the July 11 slugfest at Chase Field in Phoenix. The leagues will compete against each other in this year's event.
Ortiz was the derby champion last season and Fielder won in 2009.
ROCKIES ACQUIRE INFIELDER: The Colorado Rockies bolstered their infield by acquiring veteran second baseman Mark Ellis from the Oakland Athletics on Thursday.
The Rockies sent minor league right-hander Bruce Billings and a player to be named to Oakland for the 34-year-old Ellis and cash.
The Rockies have searched for stability at second base all season, trying out Jose Lopez — before he was designated for assignment — along with Chris Nelson and Jonathan Herrera. Eric Young Jr. has also played there.
Ellis is batting .217. He went on the disabled list with a hamstring injury and when he returned, rookie Jemile Weeks was Oakland's new starter at second base.
Billings spent most of the season at Triple-A.
CAMERON DESIGNATED FOR ASSIGNMENT: The Boston Red Sox designated outfielder Mike Cameron for assignment on Thursday.
Cameron played in 33 games with the Red Sox this year, and was batting only .149 with three home runs and nine RBIs. Cameron is a .249 career hitter with 272 homers, 950 RBIs and 296 stolen bases over 17 seasons.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43