Michel Euler, Associated Press
PARIS — French President Nicolas Sarkozy named Francois Baroin as the new finance minister on Wednesday to replace Christine Lagarde, who takes the top job at the International Monetary Fund next week.
Currently budget minister and government spokesman, Baroin inherits the task of working with other European finance ministers to find a solution to the debt crisis afflicting the eurozone.
Baroin, 46, has long been considered a loyalist of former President Jacques Chirac. In the Budget Ministry for little over a year, he has not had time to make a major mark. He helped pilot a reform of France's wealth tax in a bid to appease his conservative UMP party's traditionally wealthier electorate.
Divorced with three children, Baroin entered parliament in 1993.
He was Chirac's spokesman in his first victorious presidential campaign in 1995. Baroin's father, a close friend of Chirac, died in a plane crash in Cameroon when Baroin was 22, and Chirac took his friend's son under his wing, encouraging him to go into politics. In 2008, Baroin said he "owes everything" to Chirac.
Lagarde's replacement led to a relatively minor government shakeup, less than a year ahead of the country's next presidential elections.
Baroin's position at the budget ministry will be taken over by Valerie Pecresse, who comes from the ministry for higher education. She will also take over as government spokesperson.
Among several other changes in the cabinet, the former deputy minister for European affairs, Laurent Wauquiez, takes over for Pecresse as minister for higher education.
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Racing wildfire engulfs homes in California town
- Top 15 states for education
- Wearing this one thing can help boost a...
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 67
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 13
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 10
- Can Obama wage war without consent of... 5
- Rare snowstorm slams Rockies states,... 5