Fourteen-year-old Presston Johnson, a husky redhead from West Valley City, was grateful for the opportunity to attend Saturday's clinic.
"The thing I really enjoyed about this was coming here and meeting all of the Jazz players, getting a couple of pictures," he said. "I've always been a big fan of the Jazz. I watch 'em on TV and I've came to one or two games. I like all of them, but my favorite player was Carlos Boozer — until he switched teams. I was sorry he left; he was a pretty good player."
And as for the clinic, Johnson's sentiment was something most of us can relate to: "It's a lot harder than they make it look," he said. "They make it look easy."
Following the clinic, the group gathered for a photo, then got to tour the Zions Bank basketball facility's locker room and have more photos with Kanter and Burks. Corbin then conducted a humorous question-and-answer session with the kids, fielding queries about such topics as former Jazzmen Carlos Boozer, Deron Williams and Matt Harpring; almost-a-Jazzman Jimmer Fredette; former coach Jerry Sloan; the lack of three-second calls in the lane and a question about whether the L.A. Lakers cheat.
Corbin was also asked if the Jazz had ever won an NBA championship.
"No, we haven't won a championship yet," he said, "but next year's another year."
And, when asked if he'd ever want to be a player for the Jazz, Corbin graciously answered, "I was a player for the Jazz for three years, but that was back when you were still in your mommy's stomach."
The Jazz coach was also asked who was his favorite player on the team.
"I have 12 to 14 favorite players on the team," Corbin said diplomatically. "I can't think of any of their names right now."
And, before their day was done, the youths also received gifts from the team and got a chance to pose for pictures with coach Corbin.
"There were a couple of good shooters out there today," Hornacek said. "It's always fun to see the kids, I think their eyes lit up when Alec was out there and they see him kinda helping 'em out, too, so it's good to see those kids out there. It's fun. … It's fun to get to do some shooting with them."
Yep, like I said, I'm pretty sure a good time was had by all — a good time indeed.
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 139
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 97
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 74
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 73
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 65
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29