The prolific Mitt Romney fundraising machine is spawning spin-offs.
Romney supporters have formed a specific type of political action committee called a Super PAC, which is capable of raising and spending unlimited amounts of money.
The Washington Post reported Thursday, "Restore Our Future PAC, spearheaded by several prominent GOP strategists, is the latest in an expanding list of new groups that have formed to take advantage of court rulings allowing corporations, unions and tycoons to spend millions of dollars on elections without restrictions. The development provides further evidence that Romney is shaping up as the candidate to beat in the GOP money race."
Federal rules governing campaign donations aren't applicable to a political action committee not directly affiliated with a specific candidate. Although the Romney campaign cannot coordinate with any outside groups, Romney supporters can form a PAC and solicit uncapped donations with the quid pro quo understanding that the donated monies will be used to advance Romney's candidacy.
The Hill's Michael O'Brien blogged, "Restore Our Future was founded by Charlie Spies, Romney's general counsel in 2008; Carl Forti, Romney's political director; and Larry McCarthy, a former Romney media official. The trio formed Restore Our Future last fall, and have activated it in time for the Republican presidential primary."
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- The truth about addiction
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 14