The prolific Mitt Romney fundraising machine is spawning spin-offs.
Romney supporters have formed a specific type of political action committee called a Super PAC, which is capable of raising and spending unlimited amounts of money.
The Washington Post reported Thursday, "Restore Our Future PAC, spearheaded by several prominent GOP strategists, is the latest in an expanding list of new groups that have formed to take advantage of court rulings allowing corporations, unions and tycoons to spend millions of dollars on elections without restrictions. The development provides further evidence that Romney is shaping up as the candidate to beat in the GOP money race."
Federal rules governing campaign donations aren't applicable to a political action committee not directly affiliated with a specific candidate. Although the Romney campaign cannot coordinate with any outside groups, Romney supporters can form a PAC and solicit uncapped donations with the quid pro quo understanding that the donated monies will be used to advance Romney's candidacy.
The Hill's Michael O'Brien blogged, "Restore Our Future was founded by Charlie Spies, Romney's general counsel in 2008; Carl Forti, Romney's political director; and Larry McCarthy, a former Romney media official. The trio formed Restore Our Future last fall, and have activated it in time for the Republican presidential primary."
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Mayor responds to pending harassment lawsuit...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Parents of teen who died in overdose hope...
- Zion's trees are dying of old age
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 17
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 16
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 14
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 14
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 12
- Mia Love pushing higher education act 11
- Sen. Mike Lee pushing for vote on USA... 9