ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich will criticize President Barack Obama's statement that the "tide of war is receding" when he gives a speech to Maryland Republicans on Thursday evening.
Gingrich is scheduled to address the Maryland Republican Party's Red, White and Blue Dinner at 8 p.m. at a hotel in Linthicum, Md. near Thurgood Marshall Baltimore-Washington International Airport.
"The tide of war is not receding," Gingrich's campaign said the former House speaker will say at the event. "It is a delusion to suggest to the American people that the world is getting safer."
Gingrich will discuss developments in Iran and Pakistan and in radical Islamic terrorism during his speech, his campaign said.
Gingrich also will criticize Obama for not seeking congressional consent for U.S. involvement in the NATO-led military operation against Libya.
The former Georgia congressman also will talk about steps for developing a comprehensive strategy in the war against terrorism, including the development of an American Energy Policy to maximize domestic energy production, according to Gingrich's campaign.
Gingrich is appearing in Maryland a day after he brushed aside the significance of continuing departures of staff from his presidential campaign. Earlier this week, Gingrich's campaign confirmed that its top fundraisers had left. Sixteen advisers and staff walked away earlier this month.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Romney casts Arkansas race as way to fight Obama
- US diplomats barred from ice bucket challenge
- A tough label to chew on: What does...
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban...
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S....
- Israeli airstrike kills 3 senior Hamas leaders
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 108
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Obama heading back to DC in rare... 21
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14