Looking to build a broad consensus of GOP support, former Utah governor Jon Huntsman Jr. is actively courting the support of gay Republicans.
Politico reported last week that attendees at a Huntsman fundraiser in Washington, D.C., included "the heads of the two main, and feuding, gay Republican groups": Jimmy LaSalvia of GOProud and Christian Berle of Log Cabin Republicans.
This morning another Politico piece outlines the efforts of a Huntsman operative to drum up support from the LGBT community. Charles T. Moran, a vice chair of the California Log Cabin Republicans who works for the Huntsman campaign, sent out an email Monday night to leaders within the LGBT community with the subject line "LGBT'ers for Huntsman."
In the email Moran wrote, "As it specifically pertains to our greater LGBT community, Governor and Mrs. Huntsman are particularly supportive of our issues. … He's talked the talk, and walked the walk — Governor Huntsman is not only the right choice to lead our nation, he is unique in his desire to have a fully inclusive campaign."
Other Huntsman campaign news:
Bundlers who have raised at least $25,000 for Team Huntsman are invited to a weekend excursion later this month at the Deer Valley domicile of Jon Huntsman Sr.
"When I read it, I hear 'John 20:12.' Curious about the passage, I looked it up. The King James Bible version: 'And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.' "
This morning Daily Beast columnist John Avlon asserts that Huntsman "is less of a long shot for the GOP nomination than many think."
Avlon writes: "A responsible center-right candidate with executive experience, pro-business credentials and an internationalist bent should not be dismissed — and he seems like a breath of fresh air compared with the current conservative crop."
EMAIL: email@example.com twitter: askargo
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Missouri hiker found dead in hot Wayne County...
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11