Utah Sen. Bob Bennett was voted out of office for supporting TARP, a government effort to prevent a run on banks that was a major cause of the Great Depression. Tea Party founder David Kirkham compares TARP and other government interventions in the economy to the brutal and failed socialist economic policies that led to the downfall of the former Soviet Union.
Such comparisons are absurd and not rooted in reality. The United States needs conservative ideas to modernize the American economy and reform government, not eliminate it. The tea party wants to cut and starve government until we have nothing left. The absence of government does not bring freedom or liberty; it just brings anarchy. American voters need to reject tea party extremism in favor of mainstream conservatism.
- My view: Obama has you cornered with K-12...
- Five principles to help guide public dialogue...
- Letter: Human body
- Steve Eaton: Sundance the Talking Dog is gone
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: A more...
- My view: Use of force debate should recognize...
- In our opinion: School libraries need...
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's proposed...
- Five principles to help guide public... 93
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's... 61
- Letter: Human body 37
- Robert J. Samuelson: The trouble with... 15
- Drew Clark: We need to consider... 15
- In our opinion: School libraries need... 13
- Letter: Transportation component 11
- My view: Obama has you cornered with... 9