Utah Sen. Bob Bennett was voted out of office for supporting TARP, a government effort to prevent a run on banks that was a major cause of the Great Depression. Tea Party founder David Kirkham compares TARP and other government interventions in the economy to the brutal and failed socialist economic policies that led to the downfall of the former Soviet Union.
Such comparisons are absurd and not rooted in reality. The United States needs conservative ideas to modernize the American economy and reform government, not eliminate it. The tea party wants to cut and starve government until we have nothing left. The absence of government does not bring freedom or liberty; it just brings anarchy. American voters need to reject tea party extremism in favor of mainstream conservatism.
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- In our opinion: Par for the president
- Get the names right — or suffer...
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- Letter: Our great nation?
- Americans are changing their tune on foreign...
- Letter: Attention diverted
- Letter: Police brutality 62
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 49
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 33
- Letter: Society puzzles 32