Oz repeated as best talk-show host, while his "The Dr. Oz Show" won for best talk show-informative. Oz, one of Winfrey's proteges, is being rewarded in many markets with the 4 p.m. slot that Winfrey ruled for so many years.
"I don't feel pressure," he said backstage. "I feel honored and I feel responsibility to give to the audience what she did so beautifully for 25 years."
Oz added, "I think I'll have Oprah on as a guest sooner rather than later."
"The Ellen DeGeneres Show" earned best talk show-entertainment honors for the second straight year, although she skipped the ceremony, yielding the spotlight to her producing and writing staffs.
In a tribute to Winfrey, Gladys Knight sang "That's What Friends Are For" as a montage of the talk queen's shows played behind her. Oz paid tribute, as did frequent Oprah guest Celine Dion, who sang "Because You Loved Me" from the stage at Caesar's Palace, where she performs.
Winfrey appeared on tape with her staff gathered behind her and holding the Crystal Pillar award she was given for changing the face of daytime television.
Philbin is leaving his syndicated chat fest later this year, and he and co-host Kelly Ripa shared talk-show host honors with Oz. Philbin and Ripa didn't attend.
Meredith Vieira ended her five-year run on the "Today" show earlier this month, and she was nominated for best game-show host for "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."
The awards show was in its second year in Las Vegas, where it moved from Los Angeles after up-and-down ratings in recent years. The CBS telecast faced competition in its second hour Sunday from another splashy event, the Miss USA pageant held at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Sin City and shown on NBC.
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Vanished plane flew for more than six hours...
- South at heart of close fight to control US...
- Utah National Guard's 142nd Military...
- Missing heroines: Why Hollywood believes only...
- States explore free community college
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough discovery on...
- Food pantries on the rise at US college campuses
- British judge hears arguments in case... 60
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29
- Student who sued parents to get them to... 21
- States explore free community college 17
- President Obama calls for a... 15
- Obama says health care program is stable 14
- Senate investigation of CIA dogged by... 9
- Deadline fast approaching for... 9