Michael Brandy, Deseret News archives
The photo feature story today showcases the art and skill of the Deseret News photographers of today. These are photos of the stories that you the readers and the staff of the Deseret News have listed as the top stories of the past ten years. Some of these stories are tragic — and some happy — but most will have a place in your memory as events that occurred in your lifetime.
The road to these photographs was a long one.
Last week on June 15, the Deseret News celebrated its 161st birthday. It was the first newspaper in the territory and one of the oldest papers in the west. Photographs have been part of the Deseret News since the 1890s. Before papers were able to use photographs, they used engravings or line drawings done on wood or metal plates.
Other period photographers like the Shiplers and Savages provide photos to the Deseret News. In 1920s the Deseret News began hiring their own photographs to provide photos to accompany stories.
In early 1930s photos began being sent over telephone lines. This meant images that were associated with national stories could be printed in a timely manner.
Images by photographers were first printed on paper, then glass and tin and then colloid film. In 1999 the Deseret News moved with the times to digital photographs.
Which brings us to today's photographs.
Next week we will look at treasures of the BYU Library and then more photos that you, the readers, have sent in. We invite you to submit to us at UtahHistoryPhotos@gmail.com any scans of photos of movies and TV productions being made in Utah (movies have been made here in Utah since about 1908). Also, if you have photos of early BYU, please submit them to us. If you would like to find out a little more about the importance or value of your old photograph, you guessed it: send it to us. Please consider donating your old photos to colleges and universities and state and local historical societies or church history libraries, rather than see historic images fall into disrepair or be tossed away.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19