Even before Jones' score, the U.S. appeared to be wearing Jamaica down, holding a decided edge in offensive chances.
U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard made two saves, both in the second half. Ricketts saved five shots, and the U.S. had several other attempts near the goal.
"We just played good football," Dempsey said. "We were patient. We were confident. We moved the ball around well."
Jamaica had its best opportunity early, and it took an excellent save by Howard to knock away Demar Phillips' shot from the left side of the goal box in the fourth minute.
Jamaica entered the game as the only team in the tournament to win all three of its group-stage games without allowing a goal, but the Reggae Boyz failed to earn their first win against the U.S.
The U.S. also suffered a blow early when striker Jozy Altidore left with a strained left hamstring and was replaced by Agudelo in the 12th minute. After the game, Bradley said he didn't know what Altidore's status would be for the remainder of the tournament.
PANAMA 1, EL SALVADOR 1, Panama advances 5-3 on penalty kicks: At Washington, Former Real Salt Lake forward Luis Tejada scored in the 90th minute to tie the game at 1 and then had the victory-clinching tiebreaker penalty kick to lead Panama to a victory against El Salvador in the CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinals on Sunday.
After the teams remained tied at 1 after overtime, Tejada, Amilcar Henriquez, Anibal Godoy, Luis Renteria and Nelson Barahona converted to give Panama a 5-3 edge in the penalty kick shootout.
Panama will play the United States on Wednesday in Houston, a rematch of Panama's 2-1 Group C win.
Panama goalkeeper Jaime Penedo stopped the first penalty he faced in the tiebreaker from El Salvador's Dennis Alas. El Salvador was playing its first quarterfinal since 2003 and aiming for its first semifinal berth.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41