Even before Jones' score, the U.S. appeared to be wearing Jamaica down, holding a decided edge in offensive chances.
U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard made two saves, both in the second half. Ricketts saved five shots, and the U.S. had several other attempts near the goal.
"We just played good football," Dempsey said. "We were patient. We were confident. We moved the ball around well."
Jamaica had its best opportunity early, and it took an excellent save by Howard to knock away Demar Phillips' shot from the left side of the goal box in the fourth minute.
Jamaica entered the game as the only team in the tournament to win all three of its group-stage games without allowing a goal, but the Reggae Boyz failed to earn their first win against the U.S.
The U.S. also suffered a blow early when striker Jozy Altidore left with a strained left hamstring and was replaced by Agudelo in the 12th minute. After the game, Bradley said he didn't know what Altidore's status would be for the remainder of the tournament.
PANAMA 1, EL SALVADOR 1, Panama advances 5-3 on penalty kicks: At Washington, Former Real Salt Lake forward Luis Tejada scored in the 90th minute to tie the game at 1 and then had the victory-clinching tiebreaker penalty kick to lead Panama to a victory against El Salvador in the CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinals on Sunday.
After the teams remained tied at 1 after overtime, Tejada, Amilcar Henriquez, Anibal Godoy, Luis Renteria and Nelson Barahona converted to give Panama a 5-3 edge in the penalty kick shootout.
Panama will play the United States on Wednesday in Houston, a rematch of Panama's 2-1 Group C win.
Panama goalkeeper Jaime Penedo stopped the first penalty he faced in the tiebreaker from El Salvador's Dennis Alas. El Salvador was playing its first quarterfinal since 2003 and aiming for its first semifinal berth.
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 56
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 54
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 44
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 16