Even before Jones' score, the U.S. appeared to be wearing Jamaica down, holding a decided edge in offensive chances.
U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard made two saves, both in the second half. Ricketts saved five shots, and the U.S. had several other attempts near the goal.
"We just played good football," Dempsey said. "We were patient. We were confident. We moved the ball around well."
Jamaica had its best opportunity early, and it took an excellent save by Howard to knock away Demar Phillips' shot from the left side of the goal box in the fourth minute.
Jamaica entered the game as the only team in the tournament to win all three of its group-stage games without allowing a goal, but the Reggae Boyz failed to earn their first win against the U.S.
The U.S. also suffered a blow early when striker Jozy Altidore left with a strained left hamstring and was replaced by Agudelo in the 12th minute. After the game, Bradley said he didn't know what Altidore's status would be for the remainder of the tournament.
PANAMA 1, EL SALVADOR 1, Panama advances 5-3 on penalty kicks: At Washington, Former Real Salt Lake forward Luis Tejada scored in the 90th minute to tie the game at 1 and then had the victory-clinching tiebreaker penalty kick to lead Panama to a victory against El Salvador in the CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinals on Sunday.
After the teams remained tied at 1 after overtime, Tejada, Amilcar Henriquez, Anibal Godoy, Luis Renteria and Nelson Barahona converted to give Panama a 5-3 edge in the penalty kick shootout.
Panama will play the United States on Wednesday in Houston, a rematch of Panama's 2-1 Group C win.
Panama goalkeeper Jaime Penedo stopped the first penalty he faced in the tiebreaker from El Salvador's Dennis Alas. El Salvador was playing its first quarterfinal since 2003 and aiming for its first semifinal berth.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 43
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35