Gold Cup soccer: Jones, Dempsey score to lead U.S. past Jamaica

Published: Sunday, June 19 2011 7:00 p.m. MDT

Jamaica's Dwayne Miller, right, battles United States' Jermaine Jones for the ball near Jamaica's goal during the U.S. victory.

Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Jermaine Jones broke a scoreless tie early in the second half, leading the United States to a 2-0 victory over Jamaica in the CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinals Sunday.

Jones fired a shot from outside the penalty area in the 49th minute, and Jamaica defender Jermaine Taylor stuck out his foot, deflecting the ball past goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts.

To celebrate his Father's Day goal, Jones gave a salute, honoring his soldier father.

"It was a nice little gift," said Jones in postgame remarks translated from German by teammate Steve Cherundolo.

Jones started his international career playing in three friendlies for Germany before FIFA allowed his move to the United States team in 2009.

"It was a sign of respect," Jones said of the celebration.

The United States will face the Panama-El Salvador winner in the semifinals on Wednesday in Houston.

Jones was in the middle of several big plays until he left the game in the 75th minute for substitute Maurice Edu.

Jones seemed to be in position for a goal late in the opening half, when Ricketts saved a shot by Juan Agudelo and the rebound bounced straight to Jones, but he couldn't control the ball. Jones also drew a tackle from Taylor that earned the Jamaican defender a red card in the 67th minute.

"Jermaine has a good engine and has the ability in certain moments to get forward and be a threat," U.S. coach Bob Bradley said. "That was nice to see."

Jones' salute to his father wasn't the only reminder in this game of the importance of families.

Midfielders Clint Dempsey, who scored the second goal in the 80th minute, and Landon Donovan had not trained with the team in Washington before the match.

Each was excused to attend their sisters' weddings — Dempsey in Texas and Donovan in California.

"Understanding them, understanding what families mean to them, you have to sometimes weigh things and make decisions," U.S. coach Bob Bradley said. "Ultimately, after speaking at different points with Landon and Clint, I knew how important both of these days were for them."

The players both hopped planes at about 11 p.m. Saturday and arrived in Washington early Sunday morning. Dempsey landed about 2 a.m. and Donovan didn't arrive until around 7:30 a.m.

After both players met with Bradley, he decided to include Dempsey in the starting lineup while Donovan was a substitute.

"He asked how I was feeling. I said, 'I'm ready to go,'" Dempsey said. "I wanted to make sure I came out today and do whatever I could to help the team win, and I was able to get the goal that sealed it."

It was the first U.S. game Donovan began on the bench since June 9, 2007. Donovan entered in the 65th minute to a huge cheer from the crowd, replacing Alejandro Bedoya.

"It's been a wonderful 24 hours," Donovan said.

Jones helped give the U.S. a man advantage for the final stretch of the match when he beat the defense in the middle of Jamaica's half. Jones was about to break free for a 1-on-1 chance when Taylor tackled him from behind, earning a red card.

"I thought we were in the game until we gave up the first goal," Jamaica coach Theodore Whitmore said. "Even one man down, I think we were still in the game, still getting chances."

Dempsey added the second goal with 10 minutes to play. Agudelo's cross found Dempsey alone on the left side of the goal. Ricketts came out to contest, and Dempsey avoided the tackle and put the ball in the unguarded net.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere