Entrepreneur Of The Year finalists: David Webster, Richard Miles, Steve Miles, Paul Fairholm, Kirk Olsen, Western States Lodging and Management
The five men who run South Jordan-based Western States Lodging and Management come from diverse professional backgrounds: hospitality, real estate, health care, senior living.
But it is precisely that diversity that has led to the company's success.
David Webster was living in Pennsylvania and working for Marriott International when he began looking for ways to move back to Utah. Webster's brother-in-law, Richard Miles, was a real estate developer with his brother, Steve Miles. The three men decided to build and manage limited-service hotels, like Marriott's Fairfield Inn, to meet demand generated by the 2002 Winter Olympics.
Soon, another opportunity presented itself when the company gained control of land near the Jordan River Temple. Webster, upon learning that the city of South Jordan was interested in a senior retirement community being developed in the area, brought in Paul Fairholm, who had worked in Marriott's Senior Living division, to develop and manage what became the Legacy Retirement Community.
In 2010, as part of their effort to expand into integrated health care and living services for seniors, the partners invited Kirk Olsen to join them. Olsen, who has extensive experience in leading hospital and managed-care companies, has added divisions to Western States that provide physical rehabilitation services, pharmacy, home health and hospice.
In the 16 years since the company's beginning, the partners have developed, constructed and managed 40 projects in three states, using their individual expertise to develop employees' passion for excellence and personalized service and to find ways to make each project innovative and successful.
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage license...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- Mia Love paying back money spent on...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- Woman accused of stabbing girlfriend 46 times...
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 83
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 54
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 47
- Mia Love paying back money spent on... 44
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 34
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 18
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15