Entrepreneur Of The Year finalists: David Webster, Richard Miles, Steve Miles, Paul Fairholm, Kirk Olsen, Western States Lodging and Management
The five men who run South Jordan-based Western States Lodging and Management come from diverse professional backgrounds: hospitality, real estate, health care, senior living.
But it is precisely that diversity that has led to the company's success.
David Webster was living in Pennsylvania and working for Marriott International when he began looking for ways to move back to Utah. Webster's brother-in-law, Richard Miles, was a real estate developer with his brother, Steve Miles. The three men decided to build and manage limited-service hotels, like Marriott's Fairfield Inn, to meet demand generated by the 2002 Winter Olympics.
Soon, another opportunity presented itself when the company gained control of land near the Jordan River Temple. Webster, upon learning that the city of South Jordan was interested in a senior retirement community being developed in the area, brought in Paul Fairholm, who had worked in Marriott's Senior Living division, to develop and manage what became the Legacy Retirement Community.
In 2010, as part of their effort to expand into integrated health care and living services for seniors, the partners invited Kirk Olsen to join them. Olsen, who has extensive experience in leading hospital and managed-care companies, has added divisions to Western States that provide physical rehabilitation services, pharmacy, home health and hospice.
In the 16 years since the company's beginning, the partners have developed, constructed and managed 40 projects in three states, using their individual expertise to develop employees' passion for excellence and personalized service and to find ways to make each project innovative and successful.
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Samuelson honored as 5,648 graduate from BYU
- Unwarranted drug database search prompts new...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Gov. Gary Herbert resisting Utah GOP... 14