OREM — Every few seconds, a rotating message appears on the front page of the Utah Flash's website:
"THANKS FANS FOR A GREAT SEASON!! SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!"
Turns out, they won't.
The Flash, who have been the Utah Jazz's D-League affiliate, have ceased operations for the 2011-12 season and are being sold, according to multiple media reports.
"The NBA Development League's Utah Flash will go on hiatus for the 2011-12 season," D-League commissioner Dan Reed said in a statement to the Provo Daily Herald. "We thank (owner) Brandt Andersen, the organization, and the Utah Flash fans for all of their support of the team over the past four years, and are actively working with the team to find new ownership."
The Flash are reportedly up for sale for $2.5 million. A source told the Herald the Flash lost nearly $3 million since their inception in 2007.
Andersen confirmed his intentions to the Provo paper, which reported that not receiving funds from a major sponsor left the Flash $200,000 in the red last season.
"After much thought and consideration, I have decided to sell my interest in the Utah Flash to focus on my other businesses," Andersen wrote to the Herald. "While I conduct this search, the team will go on hiatus for the 2011-12 season. I have enjoyed the experience and thank all who have worked for the organization, played for the team, and attended Flash games over the past four years. I am grateful to the NBA and believe the NBA D-League is a great league with a very bright future."
It has not been announced which D-League team the Jazz will hook up with for future player development assignments.
C.J. Miles, Jeremy Evans, Kosta Koufos, Kyrylo Fesenko and Morris Almond are among the players who spent minor-league time in Orem on assignment from the Jazz since 2007.
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out for...
- Gordon Hayward's buzzer-beater extends Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Empey evaluates BYU's O-line; recruit Haws to...
- Jazz notes: What happens when Joe Ingles...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- BYU football hires former player Jack Damuni...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 42
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 39
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 38
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 38
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 25