EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Facing a penalty kick with 15 minutes left in regulation and the game tied, Honduras' Noel Valladares was willing to do anything to distract Alvaro Saborio of Costa Rica — so the goalkeeper argued about the placement of the ball.
He argued so much, referee Roberto Moreno of Panama gave him a yellow card. The delay worked.
Valladares made a diving stop on Saborio's penalty kick in the 75th minute and Honduras advanced to the Gold Cup semifinals by making all four of its tiebreaker penalty kicks in a quarterfinal victory Saturday night.
"I've felt the emotions of scoring a goal for my country, but you can't compare it to stopping a PK," Valladares said after Honduras advanced to the Gold Cup semifinals for the second straight time and fourth overall. "I've lived (stopping PKs) more, and I've felt it more."
In Houston on Wednesday, Honduras will face defending champion Mexico, which rallied to defeat Guatemala 2-1.
The Catrachos won because of their ability to convert from the penalty spot.
Carlo Costly, Victor Bernardez, Wilson Palacios and Jerry Bengston all connected on the penalty kicks after 120 minutes of play at the New Meadowlands Stadium left the Central American rivals tied at 1.
Costa Rica, which has never beaten Honduras in the Gold Cup, saw penalty kicks by Celso Borges and Saborio hit off the crossbar in being outscored 4-2 in the game-deciding penalty kicks.
MEXICO 2, GUATEMALA 1: At East Rutherford, N.J., Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez broke a tie in the 66th minute and defending champion Mexico rallied in the second half.
Second-half substitute Aldo De Nigris tied it at 1 early in the half as undermanned Mexico advanced to a semifinal showdown with Honduras on Wednesday night in Houston.
Carlos Ruiz scored for Guatemala in the fifth minute.
- Despair and defiance as Russian athletes...
- Dustin Johnson wins US Open at Oakmont for...
- James and Cavaliers win thrilling NBA Finals...
- The End: Cleveland rocks as title drought...
- Warriors cap greatest Finals collapse with...
- LeBron James wins NBA Finals MVP for 3rd time
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 86
- BYU football receives commitment from... 62
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- James and Cavaliers win thrilling NBA... 28
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22