Julio Cortez, Associated Press
EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey — Honduras advanced to the Gold Cup semi finals after beating Costa Rica 4-2 in a penalty shootout on Saturday night.
Carlo Costly, Victor Bernardez, Wilson Palacios and Jerry Bengston converted their penalties for Honduras after 120 minutes of play at the New Meadowlands Stadium left the Central American rivals locked at 1-1.
Costa Rica, which has never beaten Honduras in the Gold Cup, saw Celso Borges and Alvaro Saborio's penalties rebound off the crossbar.
Earlier, Bengston scored in the 49th minute for Honduras, and Dennis Marshall equalized for Costa Rica seven minutes later.
Honduras goalkeeper Noel Valladares saved a penalty from Saborio in the 75th minute to prevent Costa Rica from taking the lead.
Honduras will face the winner of the Mexico-Guatemala match in Houston on Wednesday.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 105
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 19