Julio Cortez, Associated Press
EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey — Honduras advanced to the Gold Cup semi finals after beating Costa Rica 4-2 in a penalty shootout on Saturday night.
Carlo Costly, Victor Bernardez, Wilson Palacios and Jerry Bengston converted their penalties for Honduras after 120 minutes of play at the New Meadowlands Stadium left the Central American rivals locked at 1-1.
Costa Rica, which has never beaten Honduras in the Gold Cup, saw Celso Borges and Alvaro Saborio's penalties rebound off the crossbar.
Earlier, Bengston scored in the 49th minute for Honduras, and Dennis Marshall equalized for Costa Rica seven minutes later.
Honduras goalkeeper Noel Valladares saved a penalty from Saborio in the 75th minute to prevent Costa Rica from taking the lead.
Honduras will face the winner of the Mexico-Guatemala match in Houston on Wednesday.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Jordan's Austin Kafentzis will keep his...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 108
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43