Sarah Palin, the former governor of Alaska and the GOP's 2008 vice presidential pick, overshadowed former Romney's presidential announcement in New Hampshire with an East Coast bus tour that took her to his home base of Boston and then across the border into the state the hosts the first nominating primary.
She hasn't said what she will do.
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich's campaign troubles have helped Perry. Gingrich's senior aides resigned en masse in disagreements with the candidate. Many of Gingrich's top aides are alumni of Perry campaigns and could return to Texas should Perry decide to run.
Indications were that he was leaning that way.
Gingrich's former political director was laying the groundwork for Perry in Iowa. Perry planned a national day of prayer in Houston, a move seen by GOP insiders as a play to evangelicals who are an important part of the GOP base, particularly in Iowa.
Yet Perry is starting late.
Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina traditionally are won through frequent visits and courting the local officials who deliver supporters, block by block. Perry has not been to Iowa since the 2008 campaign when he campaigned in the state for former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.
Bakst reported from Minneapolis. Associated Press writer Thomas Beaumont in Des Moines, Iowa, contributed to this report.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve gay...
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 106
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 31
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 29
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 27
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 24