YouTube pulls Rebecca Black's 'Friday' music video due to copyright battle
Is it Friday? Who's to know anymore?
End-of-the-week office celebrations are in peril as Rebecca Black's YouTube sensation "Friday" has been pulled from the website.
YouTube took down the music video after a copyright dispute between Black's lawyers and Ark Music, the company who helped her create the song. Black's lawyers accused the company of copyright infringement and unlawful exploitation of her publicity rights. They insisted the overnight star never received the master recordings Ark music guaranteed her by contract. They also allege that the music company hadn't attained the rights to advertise her as an exclusive artist or to exploit the song commercially, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
All the commotion came after people had to actually pay to watch the video.
According to the Washington Post, the viral video was recently slapped with a $2.99 fee from the Ark Music, which prompted a tweet from Black that said, "Thanks for all the messages regarding the $2.99 fee added to Friday video, I have NOTHING to do with this!!"
However, those celebrating their weekends can breathe a sigh of relief.
The video has resurfaced on the web as a "Director's Cut" on Vevo, a music video syndicate. The video is practically the same, according to Time magazine's website.
The YouTube star also does an innocent turn in an innuendo-laced music video by Katy Perry called "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)." Black is featured along with Corey Feldman and Debbie Gibson in an 80s-era zero-to-hero party story, according to Entertainment Weekly.
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12