PROVO — BYU basketball coach Dave Rose has announced the addition of 6-foot-7 forward Josh Sharp to the roster for the 2011-12 season.
"We're excited to have Josh join our program," Rose said. "He comes from a great program at Lone Peak and is a proven winner. He'll be a great addition to our team."
Sharp had indicated a couple of weeks ago that he was going to be a Cougar.
"I'm really glad to be at BYU," Sharp said. "I know that this is the right decision for me and my family. I'm looking forward to getting to know all the players and coaches."
A native of Alpine, Sharp played for Quincy Lewis at Lone Peak High School where he helped the Knights to back-to-back 5A state titles in 2007 and 2008. Sharp earned first-team all-state honors from the Deseret News as a senior. He also served as a team captain and averaged 13.5 points and 6.3 rebounds his senior season.
At Lone Peak, Sharp played with Tyler Haws, who earned third-team all-conference honors as a freshman for BYU in 2009-10. Sharp also played with fellow BYU signee Nate Austin and Division I signees Bracken Funk (Fresno State) and Justin Hamilton (LSU).
After his successful high school career, Sharp redshirted one season at the University of Utah prior to serving a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Houston.
Sharp will enroll at BYU beginning summer term.
- James and Cavaliers win thrilling NBA Finals...
- The End: Cleveland rocks as title drought...
- Warriors cap greatest Finals collapse with...
- LeBron James wins NBA Finals MVP for 3rd time
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 62
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- James and Cavaliers win thrilling NBA... 28
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22