PROVO — BYU basketball coach Dave Rose has announced the addition of 6-foot-7 forward Josh Sharp to the roster for the 2011-12 season.
"We're excited to have Josh join our program," Rose said. "He comes from a great program at Lone Peak and is a proven winner. He'll be a great addition to our team."
Sharp had indicated a couple of weeks ago that he was going to be a Cougar.
"I'm really glad to be at BYU," Sharp said. "I know that this is the right decision for me and my family. I'm looking forward to getting to know all the players and coaches."
A native of Alpine, Sharp played for Quincy Lewis at Lone Peak High School where he helped the Knights to back-to-back 5A state titles in 2007 and 2008. Sharp earned first-team all-state honors from the Deseret News as a senior. He also served as a team captain and averaged 13.5 points and 6.3 rebounds his senior season.
At Lone Peak, Sharp played with Tyler Haws, who earned third-team all-conference honors as a freshman for BYU in 2009-10. Sharp also played with fellow BYU signee Nate Austin and Division I signees Bracken Funk (Fresno State) and Justin Hamilton (LSU).
After his successful high school career, Sharp redshirted one season at the University of Utah prior to serving a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Houston.
Sharp will enroll at BYU beginning summer term.
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 134
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 63
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 47