PROVO — BYU basketball coach Dave Rose has announced the addition of 6-foot-7 forward Josh Sharp to the roster for the 2011-12 season.
"We're excited to have Josh join our program," Rose said. "He comes from a great program at Lone Peak and is a proven winner. He'll be a great addition to our team."
Sharp had indicated a couple of weeks ago that he was going to be a Cougar.
"I'm really glad to be at BYU," Sharp said. "I know that this is the right decision for me and my family. I'm looking forward to getting to know all the players and coaches."
A native of Alpine, Sharp played for Quincy Lewis at Lone Peak High School where he helped the Knights to back-to-back 5A state titles in 2007 and 2008. Sharp earned first-team all-state honors from the Deseret News as a senior. He also served as a team captain and averaged 13.5 points and 6.3 rebounds his senior season.
At Lone Peak, Sharp played with Tyler Haws, who earned third-team all-conference honors as a freshman for BYU in 2009-10. Sharp also played with fellow BYU signee Nate Austin and Division I signees Bracken Funk (Fresno State) and Justin Hamilton (LSU).
After his successful high school career, Sharp redshirted one season at the University of Utah prior to serving a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Houston.
Sharp will enroll at BYU beginning summer term.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 30
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24