LOGAN — Utah State men's basketball coach Stew Morrill announced Wednesday that in-state standout Sam Orchard has agreed to join the Aggie basketball program beginning in the 2011-12 season.
Orchard, a 6-1, 175-pound guard from Highland High was named the 4A MVP after leading the Rams to a state championship. He averaged 16.2 points, 3.2 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.4 steals per game.
"Sam has the potential to be a successful Division I basketball player, and we are delighted that he will be a part of our program," said Morrill. "He is an outstanding student with very high character and good basketball skills."
Following the 2011-12 season, Orchard plans on serving a two-year LDS Church mission.
— Staff and wire reports
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Rookie Rodney Hood wins award, Jazz lose...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 24
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16