1. Philadelphia Union (6-3-4, 22 points) Prev. 3: Philadelphia is quietly chugging along as the best team in the Eastern Conference. The Union was unlucky to not win against Real as its offense was in fine form, but the finishing was slightly off. Next up: Vancouver, Saturday.
2. Los Angeles Galaxy (8-2-7, 31 points) Prev. 2: None of last week’s top five teams played particularly well this last week. Dallas, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Salt Lake and Seattle combined for a record of 0-2-3, with the Galaxy responsible for one of the ties, the second of the year against Toronto. Next up: Colorado, Saturday.
3. San Jose Earthquakes (5-4-4, 19 points) Prev. 6: No team is playing better soccer than the Earthquakes. The most amazing part is that San Jose is doing so without its leader, Chris Wondolowski. The Quakes is the only team in MLS to have won four of the last five. Next up: Friday, Kansas City.
4. FC Dallas (7-4-4, 25 points) Prev. 1: Normally a single loss wouldn’t result in a team falling so far in the rankings. But an ugly 4-1 loss to typically pathetic Kansas City deserves harsh criticism. FC Dallas fans can find comfort by watching highlights of Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavericks. Next up: Chivas, Saturday.
5. Colorado Rapids (4-3-7, 19 points) Prev. 8: The streak is over. After six straight ties and single-point results, the Rapids were able to secure three much needed points. Colorado is recovering from the injury bug that bit it early in the season and is playing more like the championship team of last year. Next up: Los Angeles, Saturday.
6. Seattle Sounders (5-4-7, 22 points) Prev. 5: Seattle was thwarted from three hard-fought points by Erik Hassli's miracle goal. But it could have been worse for the Sounders. Kasey Keller continually saves the day. He has earned three saves of the week awards thus far. Next up: Toronto, Saturday.
7. Real Salt Lake (6-3-3, 21 points) Prev. 4: Real came away with only one point from a tough two-game road trip. Salt Lake is still the only team to have won half of its games or more this season. Next up: DC United, Saturday.
8. New York Red Bulls (5-2-7, 22 points) Prev. 7: New York finally won a game, but it was against one of the worst teams in the league, and it took a goal by New England to secure it. The national media continues to place New York as favorites, but the Red Bulls aren't playing great soccer. Next up: Portland, Sunday.
9. Houston Dynamo (4-5-6, 18 points) Prev. 13: Houston's up and down season appears to be on the upswing, although a road win still continues to evade the Dynamo. Next up: Columbus, Saturday.
10. Chivas USA (4-4-5, 15 points) Prev. 10: The Goats lost some rhythm in losing to Houston on Saturday. Prior to that, Chivas hadn't lost in three games. The Goats are one of the few MLS teams to own a better road record than home record. To regain its lost rhythm, Chivas will need to change that trend. Next up: Dallas, Saturday.
11. D.C. United (4-5-4, 16 points) Prev. 9: United's defensive woes are back. Earlier in the season, United had three games where its opponents scored four or more goals — a league high. But in recent weeks, the back line has held firm. The old trend reappeared Saturday as the Union allowed four easy goals against San Jose. Next up: Salt Lake, Saturday.
12. Columbus Crew (4-4-6, 18 points) Prev. 12: Andres Mendoza continues to make headlines around MLS, and not in a good way. While he did play well against Salt Lake, the Peruvian caused a controversy by refusing to give up a penalty kick to Jeff Cunningham, who is one goal away from tying the all-time goal leader and is the team's designated penalty kicker. Next up: Houston, Saturday.
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last year and...
- The state of Utah's all-time NFL undrafted...
- Morning links: Snow College 4-star OL...
- Rock On: One more incentive to attend BYU
- Doug Robinson: What do BYU's low draft...
- Dillon Robinson's career takes an unexpected,...
- Samuel Benson: Whatever happened to the...
- Rock On: One more incentive to attend BYU
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises... 115
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's... 67
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last... 54
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 52
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 48
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 43
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of... 36
- Doug Robinson: What do BYU's low draft... 28