Tracy Morgan's co-stars speak out against his violent homophobic rant
Tracy Morgan's violent homophobic rant took a few minutes during his stand-up act last week, but the backlash has continued for several days. Morgan's anti-gay remarks have drawn out comments from not only gay-rights groups, but also his coworkers.
Cheyenne Jackson, an openly gay actor who co-stars with Morgan on the show "30 Rock," cried foul on the violent remarks in a statement to Out Magazine.
"I am disgusted and appalled by Tracy Morgan's homophobic rant," Jackson told Out Magazine in the statement. "The devastating repercussions of hate-filled language manifests in very real ways for today's LGBTQ youth."
Jackson also said he wants to believe Tracy's actions are "not at the core of who he is."
Tina Fey also chimed in on Morgan's remarks. She gave Morgan cheers for apologizing, but condemned his harsh words. Similar to Jackson's remarks, she characterized Morgan's comments as out-of-character for the comedian and actor.
"The violent imagery of Tracy's rant was disturbing to me at a time when homophobic hate crimes continue to be a life-threatening issue for the GLBT Community," Fey told TMZ in a statement. "It also doesn't line up with the Tracy Morgan I know, who is not a hateful man and is generally much too sleepy and self-centered to ever hurt another person."
Alec Baldwin, one of Morgan's co-stars, initially reacted to the comedian's rant by tweeting, "Oh, that Tracy." Baldwin later wrote, "No one's making excuses for Tracy," according to USA Today.
- Five for Families: Live-action Disney films...
- It's May the Fourth: What's next for the Star...
- Book review: 'Wreckage' shares story of plane...
- Utah Symphony gets standing ovation at N.Y.'s...
- Haunting, thoughtful 'Jane Eyre' at Hale...
- Odysseo extends stay in Utah to May 30
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: All the world's a staged...
- Hale theater looks ahead to '17 season as...
- Utah agrees not enforce obscenity law... 13
- Rolling Stones ask Trump to stop... 6
- Official: Utah teacher violated policy... 6
- Cosby tries again to delay criminal... 3
- It's May the Fourth: What's next for... 2
- Dan Wells talks about right, wrong in... 1
- Utah Symphony gets standing ovation at... 1
- UTubers: Lindsey Stirling, Alex Boye,... 1